• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star jacket recommendations?

rob20uk

Have any of you any recommendations for a really good quality five star jacket.

The Dubow A2 seems like a good pattern with solid knits etc.

Just wondering if any of you have any that you are super happy with.

Camel24hrs

Got 3 I was happy with. 1 I was not. Got a friend that was unhappy with everyone he bought from them. Take a good look at Headwinds. The quality is much better. If you live in the states the shipping is cheaper and they are priced the same. Leather is better in that Headwinds uses full grain and five star uses top grain. Plus Headwinds pays better attention to the details of the contract. The hardware will be correct for the contract with headwind.
I got two RW from five star that everything was correct except the washer under the hook attachment that was used on RW was not present and another RW that is a good looking jacket except they used the same collar press studs on the pocket and the pocket ones should be dimpled. Also on that jacket on the epaulets the the stitching on the end is supposed to be square and they made it rectangular instead. They always seem to miss some detail on most jackets. I got a Bronco in goatskin, the snaps are all wrong. The epaulets sit in front of the shoulder instead of on top because they put the back seam to far forward.
But they are good looking jackets for their price range. And they do offer alterations. RW and Dubow and Star are the safer bet with them. At least they had an original on those to copy.

Last edited:

Blackboxr1200S

"a really good quality five star jacket"

You do realize some dudes here would kill you or at least leave you heavily wounded writing down these words.

Same question has been asked here several times, check out search button, works just fine.

I'm not a jacket nerd, not by far. I do like me some WWII history and collecting stuff, and I like the A-2 style. So am I happy with my 5* jacket... yes
Own both the Dubow in goat and a RW in horse.
Provided Shawn (more than) enough details on size.
Fit is good and both jacket are nice to wear.
As mentioned above, for what I've seen in pictures on socials and here, these 2 would be my choice.

1719048998270.png
1719049109625.png

rob20uk

You do realize some dudes here would kill you or at least leave you heavily wounded writing down these words.

Same question has been asked here several times, check out search button, works just fine.

I'm not a jacket nerd, not by far. I do like me some WWII history and collecting stuff, and I like the A-2 style. So am I happy with my 5* jacket... yes
As mentioned above, for what I've seen in pictures on socials and here, these 2 would be my choice.

View attachment 151895 View attachment 151905
I have done a bit of a search and the Dubow in goat seems like the most accurate with the best knits. I do 100% agree with you about giving them all the measurements.

How have you found your one holding up? Some of the pictures on the forum show it getting quite a nice patina.

I already have x2 ELC A-2 so getting a cheaper knock around A-2 in goat is something that I think might be a good fit.

Blackboxr1200S

I have done a bit of a search and the Dubow in goat seems like the most accurate with the best knits. I do 100% agree with you about giving them all the measurements.

How have you found your one holding up? Some of the pictures on the forum show it getting quite a nice patina.

I already have x2 ELC A-2 so getting a cheaper knock around A-2 in goat is something that I think might be a good fit.

Dubow might be the most accurate, RW has gotten more wear time, as I like how the jacket feels wearing it.
and both are doing just fine... not falling to bits, if that's what you mean.
No glue dripping out of any parts, not stinking up the place... just nice jackets :cool:

Pa12

View attachment 151895 View attachment 151905
It’s nice to see that there’s more than one option available in the market for less expensive jackets. Not like the Avirex days.

Camel24hrs

Top Grain leather doesn’t develop patina. Only Full Grain develops patina.

Camel24hrs

Sure honey...
Visit Bill Keslo site and read up. Or even better yet do a google search on it. Top grain leather will never develop patina. Only full grain leather does. Or I should say top grain may develop a small amount but never come close to what full grain will develop.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I posted this not long ago. Hope it helps with your decision .
Cheers

Skyranger

Choose goatskin, HH is crapy, too thick and no patina.
Dont wait for good quality, you pay for what you have.

flyincowboy

Choose goatskin, HH is crapy, too thick and no patina.
Dont wait for good quality, you pay for what you have.
NOPE TOTALLY DISAGREE The midbrown HH is supple soft and very well tanned and to me its a very good quality leather... D ont forget that the jacket is new and if you want a vintage look with some patina just buy an original one or high priced jacket from the top tier makers LIKE THE COMBAT CLONE .

Skyranger

I've bought enough A2 jackets to know what I'm talking about.
But hey, everyone has their own truths.

Skyranger

Take your pill to calm down my friend. I would never buy a vintage A2, it's for museums not for everyday life. I like reproductions because they are often realistic and allow them to be worn without risk to the clothing and they can be personalized with squadron patches whose exploits we have learned. However, I want to wear a comfortable jacket that suits my build, with as much in common with the historic jacket. Some brands allow it, others it's as they say in France: Canada-Dry. In short, just the taste and color... This does not imply any contempt for the buyer of such jackets, but if you go further on Ebay you will find them for less than 100 dollars, don't come and tell us here that these jackets are magnificent!

flyincowboy

Il ne faut pas cracher dans la soupe! For the price they are good quality jackets better than some mall jackets and most of the time customised to your size... top end makers use a lot of italian leather vegetably tanned .5 star use semi vegetable HH tanned leather . 5 star has done a lot of improvement on accuracy finding and copying originals jackets.and with the help of a lot of VLJ members . The first jackets were a test mule and sold for cheap/ bargain on fleebay ... now the new incoming jacket become better( like the wine). BUT NOTHING BETTER THAN AN ORIGINAL ONE !

mulceber

I would never buy a vintage A2, it's for museums not for everyday life.
Burt ( @B-Man2 ) and I visited the National Museum of the USAF at Wright-Pat a couple autumns ago. They had a good number of A-2 jackets on display. We ran into a docent and, by way of conversation, Burt asked the docent how many jackets they had that weren't on display. "Thousands." They're just sitting in boxes in a dark basement somewhere, in the very unlikely chance that someone ever decides they're worth displaying. Most museums can tell similar stories. And many of them don't take care of them very well. The number of A-2s I've seen behind glass that have red-rot or mildew is depressing.

An original A-2 jacket will be receive more care and love in your hands than it ever will from a museum, unless it happens to be from a really famous airman or unit.

Last edited:

Pa12

Burt ( @B-Man2 ) and I visited the National Museum of the USAF at Wright-Pat a couple autumns ago. They had a good number of A-2 jackets on display. We ran into a docent and, by way of conversation, Burt asked the docent how many jackets they had that weren't on display. "Thousands." They're just sitting in boxes in a dark basement somewhere, in the very unlikely chance that someone ever decides they're worth displaying. Most museums can tell similar stories. And many of them don't take care of them very well. The number of A-2s I've seen behind glass that have red-rot or mildew is depressing.

An original A-2 jacket will be receive more care and love in your hands than it ever will from a museum, unless it happens to be from a really famous airman or unit.
Wow. Didn’t know that . Interesting and sad.

B-Man2

Let me just back up what Jan told you in his post. The Wright Patterson AFB Museum … The largest museum of its type in the world … has difficulty figuring out how to display its multitude of WWII jackets and how to care for all of them on a consistent basis. The ones that they have on display are for the most part in temperature controlled environments. So this suggests to me that we may in fact be the ones who help to stabilize, restore and maintain original jackets better that most facilities and museums. We may also be responsible for helping to save what’s left of them. So if you’re fortunate enough to be a care taker for one of these artifacts, I think you should be entitled to wear it and display it occasionally.