• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star A-2 Fit Help

Hi everyone,

I've been reading extensively and trying to get an idea of how to get a proper fit on my. next A-2 purchase, but the proper fit is so relative I have decided to reach out for some assistance from the experts.
I purchased a 1939 Werber sized 38 earlier this year from Five Star. It's an absolutely gorgeous jacket, its aging beautifully and for the price it can't be beat, however the size is just not working out.
I am 6'2", 190 lbs, 34 waist and a 41-42 chest. I initially inquired to Shawn regarding a slim fitting jacket and was recommended the Werber in 38 based on my measurements. I know that WWII repros lack a bi-swing back, gussetted shoulders and all of that that gives them a more shirt fit than that of a traditional jacket so I will need to move up a size or two to actually function in my jacket. I was looking at a Bronco from Five Star, as they have similar slim measurements and lack a collar stand, but am open to suggestions. Can you guys give me some input on whether I should size up to a 40 or 42 based on these pics? I would like a little more traditional WW2 look with a little more overhang on the knits. I have a Wested Raiders jacket in 42 that feels fairly loose due to the action-back and wider shoulders, but I feel that 42 might be my A-2 size as well.
IMG_4681.jpg
IMG_4682.jpg

Apologies for the picture quality, trying to do this alone. I can get some better shots
IMG_4683.jpg
IMG_4684.jpg
IMG_4685.jpg
when I have someone to take them for me at a later time. Any feedback/recommendations is appreciated.

coolhandluke

I would recommend going with whatever size allows for a chest measurement that is at least 4" larger than your chest size. Anywhere from 4" - 6" is common. Slim fitting A-2's are not comfortable or functional whatsoever.

5*'s sizing chart is a bit wonky and they tend to be oversized for their tagged size. You would be a 44 or 46 in a jacket from most other manufacturers.

Smithy

I'm your height but slightly heavier (90kg) but I weight train so bigger in the upper body and with a 32'' waist and I'm at least a 44 in A-2s.

Last thing you want is a too trim A-2. The basic pattern is unforgiving to begin with - it's essentially a leather shirt, so you need to have some room to move in the thing.

Smithy

...I should add that contracts vary greatly in terms of fit. Broncos for example are trim in the body, so you really need to be trim yourself for the pattern to work well.

This is why finding a good fit in A-2s takes a bit of trial and error. It's very rare for someone to hit a home run on their first go.

For me, I can go a 44 in some contracts but I'd need a 46 in some others.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. The Bronco in 42 would provide six inches of slack over my traditional chest measurement, I was almost worried it would be too much. I generally avoid "long" sizes as my arms are not quite as long as you would expect for someone of my height, also why I'm leaning towards the Bronco as they along with the Werbers tend to run on the longer side. I'm essentially trying to avoid that baggy, presidential A-2 look. I'm fairly slim for a man entering middle age, but perhaps not slim enough for a Bronco?