• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Educate me on A-2 leather finishes

Camel24hrs

Care to elaborate? Except for the fact that it's not "authentic", I've found almost nothing written about it.
I have spoken to 3 different people who purchased five star jackets with pull up leather. All of them regretted it. I have yet to hear from someone who bought five star pull up leather that liked it.

Banzai

I have spoken to 3 different people who purchased five star jackets with pull up leather. All of them regretted it. I have yet to hear from someone who bought five star pull up leather that liked it.
That’s good to know. I did some google searching of this forum, and TFL, and came up with just about zero info.

Camel24hrs

IMG20241005145917.jpeg
IMG20241005145935.jpeg
IMG20241005145748.jpeg
IMG20241005145713.jpeg
IMG20241005145842.jpeg
IMG20241005150014.jpeg
Got my QC pics from five star on the RW 23380. Looks promising. Their photography sucks. Have to wait till I get it to see if the leather on this one is full grain too.

denny@aero

No offence but people come on here several times a year asking these same questions. It doesn't matter with the tanning or "finishing", NOBODY MAKES LEATHER THE SAME AS THEY DID IN THE 30S OR 40S.

The "finishing" by which I think you mean top coat and/or sealing after tanning won't really change anything.

By the way "pull-up" leather which Aero uses as a term is nothing like wartime A-2 jackets. And Aero's CXL leathers - whilst beautiful - are also nothing like original A-2 leather, trust me, I have one ;)
Aero don't offer Chromexcel in any of their A2 jackets,( as you have said it is nothing like what was originaly used) we offer Jerky which is Chrome / Pigment , Vicenza which is Veg / semi aniline , Badalassi which is Veg / full Aniline

Banzai

Aero don't offer Chromexcel in any of their A2 jackets,( as you have said it is nothing like what was originaly used) we offer Jerky which is Chrome / Pigment , Vicenza which is Veg / semi aniline , Badalassi which is Veg / full Aniline
Sorry, I didn't mean Aero offers Chromexcel on the A2, but just in general on a lot of other jackets. "Pull up" is a thing I learned about just a few days ago, and wondered just how viable it was for a jacket, since one maker offers it for A2s. Someone pointed out that Chromexcel is the OG "pull up", and since Aero seems to use it in a lot of models, it must be pretty ok for a jacket, even if not A2 appropriate/accurate.

denny@aero

Sorry, I didn't mean Aero offers Chromexcel on the A2, but just in general on a lot of other jackets. "Pull up" is a thing I learned about just a few days ago, and wondered just how viable it was for a jacket, since one maker offers it for A2s. Someone pointed out that Chromexcel is the OG "pull up", and since Aero seems to use it in a lot of models, it must be pretty ok for a jacket, even if not A2 appropriate/accurate.
"Pull Up" leathers are great for jackets. Pull up is the dissipation of oils / waxes beneath the surface of aniline finish leathers, giving a "marbeling "effect , is you fold the leather you get a lighter line long fold , that can then be rubbed back in and disappear

Blackboxr1200S

View attachment 161065View attachment 161067

Got my QC pics from five star on the RW 23380. Looks promising. Their photography sucks. Have to wait till I get it to see if the leather on this one is full grain too.
Had no idea as a noob ... Interesting read about leather.

And as for this top grain vs full grain discussion.
The leather shown in the QC pics, doesn't look very different from the RW I got in May 2023.

Just know, it's holding up pretty good.
15 months period between the pictures. Ages just fine.

RW  15maand.JPG

P-47 thunderbolt

Although pigment finish is correct for a WW2 A2 jacket, the pigments today are different from those used in the 40s. Pigment is essentially a paint finish. Modern pigment especially on the lower priced leathers tends to be plastic and shiny.
Unsure but I expect 40s pigments had lead in them.
Anyway 40s pigment was had a matte finish.
This would wear over time to the full penetrated dyed, chrome tanned leather beneath.
More subtle than the wear on modern pigment finishes hides.
Less contrast as I see it.

That is why aniline/semi aniline finishes make for an accurate looking repro.