• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AN Inspection Stamp

Jennison

I've found information regarding the time period the AAF lining stamps were used on A-2 jackets (not sure if it's correct). I can't find anything as to when the "AN" inspector's stamp would have been used. I've seen this marking on everything from brass B-17 part identification plates to throat mikes and Mae West life vests. Interestingly, Goodwear's 1939 Werber has a different inspection stamp, an "A" with another letter and number within it. I've seen that one on equipment as well, and I assume it is earlier than the AN stamp. Seems to me that some repro makers are quite liberal with the use of both the AAF and AN inspection stamps without reference to the A-2 contract dates.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me to a definitive answer regarding A-2 AAF stamp use and any info regarding the time period for the AN stamp.