• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero leather - Jerky Horsehide upgrade worth it?

Kai^2

Depends what you are looking for. If you want a jacket that will age/weather "quickly", the jerky HH is perfect. If you want more of a "high-end" one, yes, an upgrade is worth it.
Thanks Cocker. I take it the "high grain" version of the Jerky HH is not just aesthetics, but it also more hardy/stiff and takes longer to age/break in?

B-Man2

I’ve often thought that the first tannery or company that simply offers “WWII reproduction horsehide “ would score a big hit. With all of the different types of hides being offered today it seems like manufactures are getting farther away from the look and the feel of the actual mismatched , scarred, multi type grained and smooth hides that were used purchased by the Government during the war. Aero came close to offering something along those lines years ago when they offered their “Real Deal” combat clones, that were made with mismatched multi grained hides, with barb wire scars and wonky stitch work .
I know that many would say that’s all well and good when you’re being issued a jacket … but when you’re dropping big bucks on one it should be perfect …. Ok agree with that but …..do you want a close reproduction of an original war time A2 jacket or a perfect modern day reproduction of a WWII A2 jacket.
They’re close …. But not the same thing.
Just throwing it out there for conversation .

Last edited:

Jennison

I’ve often thought that the first tannery or company that simply offers “WWII reproduction horsehide “ would score a big hit. With all of the different types of hides being offered today it seems like manufactures are getting farther away from the look and the feel of the actual mismatched , scarred, multi type grained and smooth hides that were used purchased by the Government during the war. Aero came close to offering something along those lines years ago when they offered their “Real Deal” combat clones, that were made with mismatched multi grained hides, with barb wire scars and wonky stitch work .
I know that many would say that’s all well and good when you’re being issued a jacket … but when you’re dropping big bucks on one it should be perfect …. Ok agree with that but …..do you want a close reproduction of an original war time A2 jacket or a perfect modern day reproduction of a WWII A2 jacket.
On the button Bert.

Kai^2

If the essence of the A-2 jacket is that it’s a practical, no-frills garment designed for war, wouldn't a 'perfect' version—even one you’ve spent a lot of money on—actually embrace those imperfections? Shouldn’t the warts and blemishes be part of its authenticity?

Southoftheborder

Thanks mulceber! Didn't realize that Jerky Horsehide is also sourced from Horween leather company.
Actually it isn't. It's tanned in the UK see below.

I agree with B-man above but with the proviso that to be authentic it should also be chrome tanned. Like this hide that Aero calls Jerky.
Screenshot 2024-09-11 at 08.49.11.png

B-Man2

If the essence of the A-2 jacket is that it’s a practical, no-frills garment designed for war, wouldn't a 'perfect' version—even one you’ve spent a lot of money on—actually embrace those imperfections? Shouldn’t the warts and blemishes be part of its authenticity?
Yes … that’s exactly what I was trying to say.
Those warts , blemishes etc were in fact part of original issued A2 jackets. However, you will never find those types of imperfections on the upgraded Horween or Badalassi horsehides being used today. So in reality the lesser or lower grade horsehides being offered would actually be more authentic than the upgraded hides. Which by the way the US Government would never have purchased because of the increased costs for upgraded hides .