• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acres of Pant

ZuZu

The US Army look of WW2- especially the officer look- is one of the most unflattering looks ever! Acres of pant emphasizing almost feminine asses and hips. Fred Mertz style waislines 6 inches above the navel- a look especially rocked by that weird man Douglas MacArthur. There's a reason the official uniform of WW2 jacket collectors is vintage jeans and an A-2 or G-1. The actual WW2 look- the complete look- is odd at best.

tumblr_ppy5fldgls1t5hadvo1_1280.jpg

Child bearing hips! The men of that time had much smaller upper bodies and the Army chose to emphasize this with balloon pants!
EAF1D400-EECD-4FD3-9D94-ACE3C8C0BC7A.jpeg.jpg

6ffb8e5a2c6bb1622941ba0947edbd18--jackets.jpg

My Dad wore this same outfit during the 50s and 60s- khaki pants and a leather jacket- a weird ass-centric look- the short jacket and balloon pants make for an oddly feminine aspect:
back 9b025be7a6f9a936_large.jpeg

post-3373-1335282278.jpg

The King and Progenitor of the Fred Mertz look:

rw korean-war-correspondent-marguerite-higgins-speaking-w-general-douglas-macarthur_u-l-p74q780.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Not disagreeing with you Zu .
I think the pants were pretty baggie .
But I think that you’d have to consider the time period and the men’s fashion of that period .
1940s were predominantly double and triple pleated high waisted baggie pants .
The military pants of that period pretty much fit that mold .
Many of the officers had their uniforms tailored and tapered . Clark Gable definitely had his uniforms tailored as well as some of the more financially well off officers.
Steve McQueen had his chinos tapered for the Great Escape thats why they look good .

Flightengineer

With all due respect, it is rather strange to try to condemn this style looking at it from our time. Especially since we all know why the flight jacket is usually so short and why loose high-waisted trousers are more comfortable in the cockpit

ZuZu

With all due respect, it is rather strange to try to condemn this style looking at it from our time. Especially since we all know why the flight jacket is usually so short and why loose high-waisted trousers are more comfortable in the cockpit
Just being honest. And I am strange.

CBI

Funny - and I totally agree, I hate those super baggy pants when worn these days. A style from a different era for sure.

B-Man2

Just being honest. And I am strange.
Zu
Nobody in their right mind is going to answer this ;)
( But I’ll try ;))
You’re not strange … you are probably exceptionally intelligent. Highly intelligent people tend to view things from a different perspective than people of normal intelligence.
It’s sort of like this …. When I look into a room , I see the basically a room .
When highly intelligent people look into that same room ….. They see every detail of that room and look into each corner as well and take a photo of it with their mind . Thats why you are so detail oriented. It’s probably just an integral part of your thought process.
Now .. Based on what I just said above … You will probably analyze this statement and look for any possible hidden meanings, but I can assure you … it was made with a great deal of respect and was intended to be very complimentary .
Regards
Burt

Last edited:

Grant

Sorry Z, disagree with you yet again. I happily wear baggy, long rise, high waisted WWII issue wool combat trousers and khaki pants. They're much more comfortable wearing and have a certain class look that IMHO is missing from the tight ass, low rise, peg legged pants most guys wear today. It's nice to stand out sometimes, even with a baggy ass. Also, I appreciate the quailty of the fabric and materials used back then. Too bad most WWII trousers are almost impossible to find these days in normal sizes.

ZuZu

Sorry Z, disagree with you yet again. I happily wear baggy, long rise, high waisted WWII issue wool combat trousers and khaki pants. They're much more comfortable wearing and have a certain class look that IMHO is missing from the tight ass, low rise, peg legged pants most guys wear today. It's nice to stand out sometimes, even with a baggy ass. Also, I appreciate the quailty of the fabric and materials used back then. Too bad most WWII trousers are almost impossible to find these days in normal sizes.
You must disagree with me a lot in your mind- I don't see it that much here!

The quality of the materials etc. was unparalleled etc. but the look of the pants is never cool unless they are a bit less baggy. There used to be an exact copy of WW2 AAF khakis called Military Vat Dye which were perfect- slightly slimmer and lower rise. The baggy pant look is cool only in the eye of the wearer looking in the mirror- it's a costume otherwise IMO. You may have a nice wife who says you look great in WW2 khakis but my wife of 38 years is brutally honest and would literally laugh if I showed up like that.

Modern men are built differently- even us skinny guys have a lower waist and larger torso- it's all that milk I guess. In their native WW2 environment baggy pants at least looked natural- everybody had them on. The different build of the men then gave them even more volume when worn- leading to that weirdly feminine large hipped look. IMO they don't work at all now.