• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 RW on EBay

johnwayne

So, anyone gonna pull the trigger? Too small for me thankfully plus I have an original but might have been tempted otherwise! I particularly like its understated originality.

caddyd

I'd take a shot at that ole RW but its a U.S. sale only and its named so probably a steep bid.

Anorak

What do we think a fair value on this jacket would be? Nice size, leather condition is ok, white bloom, identified, and rare patch. $1.5k?

WW2 Buff

I have a question about the history of the person who wore the RW A-2. According to the seller the original owner of the A-2 was in the US 7th cavalry (which is not the USAAC). The seller of the A-2 on ebay wrote:

"This authentic period jacket belonged to Walter W. Woodard. I was told he was in Troop C 107th Cavalry Ohio. I do have a photo from 1929 of the 107th on horseback that I will be posting and was told W.W. Woodard is one of the men in the photo"

Perhaps Woodward started with the 7th cavalry and later transferred to the USAAC. Or maybe he never joined the USAAC, but just acquired the jacket because he was an Army officer and he wanted an A-2 jacket (as sometimes the US paratrooper officers had done). Perhaps he had a specialty job at Wright Field (which during WW2 was named Paterson Field). I noticed general Doolittle had the Wright squadron patch and I have read he had done some training for the Doolittle raid at Patterson Field (formally Wright Field).

Does anyone know What the airmen assigned to the Wright squadron flew, what was their theatre of operations during or before WW2? Maybe they were attached to the Ferrying Command? I have read about Wright Field/Patterson field during WW2, it was a location for testing enemy aircraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilbur_Wright_Field

GEN JIMMMY DOOLITTLE.png

B-Man2

I have a question about the history of the person who wore the RW A-2. According to the seller the original owner of the A-2 was in the US 7th cavalry (which is not the USAAC). The seller of the A-2 on ebay wrote:

"This authentic period jacket belonged to Walter W. Woodard. I was told he was in Troop C 107th Cavalry Ohio. I do have a photo from 1929 of the 107th on horseback that I will be posting and was told W.W. Woodard is one of the men in the photo"

Perhaps Woodward started with the 7th cavalry and later transferred to the USAAC. Or maybe he never joined the USAAC, but just acquired the jacket because he was an Army officer and he wanted an A-2 jacket (as sometimes the US paratrooper officers had done). Perhaps he had a specialty job at Wright Field (which during WW2 was named Paterson Field). I noticed general Doolittle had the Wright squadron patch and I have read he had done some training for the Doolittle raid at Patterson Field (formally Wright Field).

Does anyone know What the airmen assigned to the Wright squadron flew, what was their theatre of operations during or before WW2? Maybe they were attached to the Ferrying Command? I have read about Wright Field/Patterson field during WW2, it was a location for testing enemy aircraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilbur_Wright_Field

View attachment 158037
This might help to answer your question.

Wright Field

I’ll be curious to see if the seller posts more information about Woodard. I was unable to find any references to a Walter Woodard in the cavalry and nothing at all on him being in the military in 1929. There was a Walter W Woodard who was in the Air Corps starting in 1942 and at least until ‘47 and was in Dayton. However, I was unable to find anything specific on him related to his flying experience.
To answer a couple of general questions from above, the Doolittle Raiders didn’t train in Dayton. We did some of the oversight of the process of procuring and modifying the planes, but that was it. Jimmy wore the Wright Field spearhead because when he was recalled to active duty, he was assigned to Materiel Command at Wright Field, overseeing a multi-state area of industries being converted to wartime production. At the time, there were two separate bases: Wright Field and Patterson Field. (Don’t go off of the Wikipedia info, as much of it is mixed up or incorrect.) Wright Field was mostly R&D and procurement while Patterson Field was logistics/depot stuff. Flight testing occurred at both places, mainly because Patterson Field was much larger.
As for Woodard, there were hundreds of pilots here, mostly in conjunction with test flying, but also more routine activities.

Wright Field

This might help to answer your question.

See my post below. Wright Field pilots only flew here at home; they didn’t fight/deploy overseas, as they weren’t an “operational” (war fighting) unit. They did test flying and such, like what EdwardS AFB does now.

Silver Surfer

I just went to the auction for this jacket and took note of the current high bidder at $1500. the high bidder has zero feedback, and has bumped the price a few times as the auction has gone on. shill? I gave the possibility of bidding, but upon reconsideration, I will pass. just too many ???????? on this one.