• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 RW on EBay

Erwin

1725442972677.png

1725442999485.png

1725443022899.png

1725443048194.png

johnwayne

Nice and a decent size albeit prob more akin to a modern 40” but be interesting to see what it ultimately goes for! Always quite liked that patch!!

WW2 Buff

I love the jacket! However, what about the small white spots? Is that mildew or paint drops? The seller wrote the specs should clean off, but they're historical. I ask because I know from experience, sometimes these vintage jackets were in a room while the room was being painted and the jacket would get paint spots.

Silver Surfer

I can't really tell if its paint or mildew. either way, if the spots were to be cleaned off, it will leave tell tale light spots where the spots were. the jacket looks smaller than a size 42....at least to my eyes.

Dany McDonald

+1, it looks like it very well may be "white bloom" rather than mildew growth.

To my eye, its looks very much like paint speckles. And mildew or mold have a different pattern of spreading, with denser areas or star like dots going outward, etc...

I'd prefer to deal with a mild case of mold, like I said, Borax with water is very very efficient with getting rid of that. Paint is a different game, you need a solvent or thinner to lift the dot without affecting the surface, leather in this case.

Or you just leave it alone, and that's ok too.

But a nice jacket for sure!

D

coolhandluke

That’s fair - tbh, I’m really not sure it’s mildew specifically, but I am pretty confident it’s a minor fungus. I’ve seen stuff like it on leather before and it comes off pretty easily. I haven’t tried the borax+water treatment, but I could believe it.

It just thought that it looked very similar to the white bloom that I've encountered after using Pecards on vintage leather holsters, rifle slings, and baseball gloves. I actually stopped using Pecards because of it. The "bloom" is just displaced salts, waxes, oils, etc that have leeched onto the surface after being treated with a leather preservative. A couple examples are shown below. If it is white bloom, it isn't harmful, but some cases of it can be quite stubborn and hard to get rid of.

6f8dd83c3c0e31fa74f9d151c1e2a55056ee70db.jpeg

leather-bloom-or-spew-v0-s22ylo4yu5v91.jpg

Anorak

It just thought that it looked very similar to the white bloom that I've encountered after using Pecards on vintage leather holsters, rifle slings, and baseball gloves. I actually stopped using Pecards because of it. The "bloom" is just displaced salts, waxes, oils, etc that have leeched onto the surface after being treated with a leather preservative. A couple examples are shown below. If it is white bloom, it isn't harmful, but some cases of it can be quite stubborn and hard to get rid of.

View attachment 157765

View attachment 157767
How would you remove white bloom?

coolhandluke

How would you remove white bloom?

It literally just wipes off. It's just a crystalized powdery residue. The issue is keeping it from coming back. Supposedly heating the surface to help draw out the leeching salts and fats helps speed up the process. There's specific leather care products for treating spue, but I wouldn't use them on vintage leather with any substantive value. On the pieces that I have that were effected, I just gave the piece a periodic wipe down and the bloom slowly dissipated and stopped over time. The only item that would not stop blooming was a modern reproduction M1907 sling. I ended up dunking it in rubbing alcohol and that cured the issue. I would never suggest such a drastic treatment on anything vintage though.