• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2, patched, named, and blood chit!!

Anorak

Based off the sheer number of these leather blood chits in circulation and the fact that most seem to lack stitch holes, my conclusion is that the majority were souvenir items bought in theatre. You see them with artwork for the USN and Marine Raiders amongst others, as well as ATC and USAAF. Yes some were clearly sewn externally on flight jackets, as they were much more durable than the cloth equivalents (more typically sewn into jacket linings). However, I believe that most were brought back as souvenirs, folded up and put into storage (as evidenced by the creases in the leather seen in many examples).

View attachment 158471

View attachment 158473
Interestingly, the 'blood chit legend' on this jacket appears to have been painted over (it's visible through the paint) and the mission tally bombs added in its place.

BTW the unit patch on the right side of the jacket (as worn) is from the 12th BG (only the 2nd example in multipiece leather that I've seen). The squadron patch is the 82nd BS, 12th BG.

View attachment 158477
Thank you for all the knowledge!