• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 Pocket-Flap Scalloping.

Jennison

Not including the early button flap A-2s, is there a consensus on which contract had the most pronounced/sharp scalloping on the pocket flaps? Also, which contract had the “weakest” scallops? To me, the scalloping is a truly anachronistic detail, and in a wonderful sense. The more pronounced, the better.

2BM2K

The Star probably has the most scalloped pocket, as seen in this photo.;

576180_399454483443978_1269844507_n.jpg

Jennison

I love the photo of that officer and have it on my phone. It’s great to now know what contract he’s wearing. I’ve struggled to figure out what that light area is right above his name tag. Any idea? Also, notice his ditch whistle.

Were jacket pieces punched out or cut by hand? I’ve noticed differences between flaps on the same jacket, one more scalloped than the other. You can even see this on that beautiful 1756 (rounded tip vs sharper tip).

Last edited:

ZuZu

IMHO - strongest = Star, with Dubow taking second place; weakest...well, sort of a competition: Rough Wear and later Aeros both had really weak scalloping in their own ways, and then some of the really late ones like Spiewak and Doniger basically just had a triangular pocket flap.
Spot on analysis- this kind of stuff should be in the A-2 Guide/Thread!

ZuZu

Not actually by hand - at least not freehand. JC told me they used cardboard templates. Trouble is, when you're working quickly, occasionally the cutter nicks the template, and over time, a sharp-looking template becomes pretty shapeless.
It's all speculation unless we have photographs. I think the Big Guy's leaning more toward clicker dyes for at least some contracts like RW. The variety in shapes can be explained by assembly.

Jennison

"The variety in shapes can be explained by assembly."

That makes perfect sense, especially with a double-sided panel like a pocket flap. Many Bronco examples I've seen (not all) appear to have pronounced scalloping, too. I'm not learned enough to know where Bronco is in that pecking order.

mulceber

The variety in shapes can be explained by assembly.
"The variety in shapes can be explained by assembly."

That makes perfect sense, especially with a double-sided panel like a pocket flap. Many Bronco examples I've seen (not all) appear to have pronounced scalloping, too. I'm not learned enough to know where Bronco is in that pecking order.
I'll second @Jennison - really good point. Doesn't matter what shape they cut if the sewer just wants a rectangle.

mulceber

On the scallopier end, but not to the degree of Star or Dubow. I think third place goes to Werber, and then fourth would be Bronco - I very well may be missing one though!

Silver Surfer

since pocket flaps and collars were made inside out, I would imagine that some operators did not pull the hide very well to reach the pointed edge of the scallop. also, making them pointed is more difficult than rounded.