• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 find: American Eagle Leather, H. Chait

Juanito

This might be the best EBay score I’ve ever had. It’s an A-2 from “American Eagle Leather, H. Chait, Maker”.
Whoever this guy was, he made a heck of a jacket. I can’t find anything about him online.
View attachment 161389View attachment 161395

It could possibly be Harold Chait who used to live at 356 Auburn St, Whitman, MA.

Further, it looks like he was a Captain of the 367th Fighter Group. https://bid.poulinauctions.com/GERMAN-WWII-MAUSER-P-08-LUGER-P-38-SEMI-AUTO_i52742131

Other sources show him as a Sergeant of the 392nd Fighter Squadron of the 367th Figbter Group.

I can't find anything tying him to the jackets, but there are some hints here if someone wants to dig.

It is beginning to sound like it is maybe a situation like the Goodson or Morgan A-2 jackets that were sold at reunions in the 1970s and 80s. Who knows?

Last edited:

Banzai

I think I had one of these. Same zipper, same collar, same pockets, same nylon lining, same brass rivets on the collar clip..

I'll bet Banzai's jacket has thick, single weave cuffs with a seam. I removed those and had the berry knits added.

Maybe I now know what this jacket was since it came to me with no label. It was a very well made jacket with exceptionally heavy goatskin, Lost Worlds heavy like.
The cuffs are exactly as you describe.

Banzai

Here it is.
IMG_2586.jpeg

Banzai

Is it the photo or is the jacket a very small size because the pockets look absolutely ginormous?
I mean, I’m only 5’6”. The pockets are bigger than a WW2 jacket, but smaller than my issued Avirex/Cockpit. Compared to a WW2 repro, they are pretty big.

This isn’t a completely faithful repro, but has many WW2 elements.