• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

55J14 original. Im curious, what would you pay?

Brettafett

Star Sportswear 55J14 (39943) circa 1950

Chaps,
Im curious, what would YOU pay for this jacket?
I just ask for honest, constructive comments, please.
Its wearable, but needs work.

The knits need replacing, moutons ok, has bald spots. Zipper works fine, but need cleaning and waxing.
Leather is ok on the whole, no ghost stitching, no removed patches, no over-stitching, but it is thinning in some areas, some grazes and scuffs, some light flaking. No rot.
Needs a clean, some tlc and a good conditioning.
Liner is ok, some small holes that need to be repaired. Needs a good CLEAN.
Buttons & snaps A-OK.
Otherwise it's sound.

I am not trying to gauge interest in selling.
Im trying to work out whether it's worth investing in, considering I would want to refurbish it and give new life.

What would YOU pay for this, if it was local and in your size???????

IMG_20240901_093512009.jpg
IMG_20240901_093556422.jpg
IMG_20240901_093700111.jpg
IMG_20240901_093947962.jpg
IMG_20240901_094108923.jpg
IMG_20240901_094221146.jpg
IMG_20240901_094258122.jpg

IMG_20240901_093645696.jpg

Pilot

Looks like a healthy nice G-1.
I believe I saw it recently in a vintage shop a parallel street of Marylebone High Street. Its a size 42“ and the seller asked for 380 GBP, if I remember correctly.

Great jacket, but needs all the attention you mention, plus the Talon is also not the correct one.
Will let others chime in.

Brettafett

Looks like a healthy nice G-1.
I believe I saw it recently in a vintage shop a parallel street of Marylebone High Street. Its a size 42“ and the seller asked for 380 GBP, if I remember correctly.

Great jacket, but needs all the attention you mention, plus the Talon is also not the correct one.
Will let others chime in.
It could be, if it was a while back, but this didn't come from a vintage shop as far as I know.
I'd love to know where that shop was, or what it was called, as I work near there.

mulceber

actually, it looks pretty good. the knits are in good enough shape to be darned and used as is. however,, though done well, the zipper looks to have been replaced. the hides and liner look aok. $300-$400 if its a good fit.
Agreed. The knits aren’t too bad. The zipper is the issue. If I were buying it, I’d be inclined to replace the zipper with the correct one. I’d say it’s worth $500 - more on eBay, to cover the fees.

Pilot

It could be, if it was a while back, but this didn't come from a vintage shop as far as I know.
I'd love to know where that shop was, or what it was called, as I work near there.
Will find out for you.
My daughter lives in my flat in MLHS. she will check the address.
Edit, its in the street with a famous bar/restaurant where even the Royals kids hang out ( I have been told so :) ).

Last edited:

B-Man2

Whatever price you decide is reasonable add an additional $200 to that price for restoration work. Having read your posts for a few years we know that you like your jackets to look as nice and clean and minty as possible. There are a few things that need to be changed or cleaned up. So include at least that much to the purchase price.
Having done this restorative thing a few times the cost of a jacket like this can vary with what you decide to do with it from a restorative perspective. Also without having the jacket in you hands to examine it you just never know if there are additional issues with the jacket. For example I purchased a Pritzker a number of years ago that I thought just needed a zipper and knit change for $295.00. When I received the jacket the internal elastic straps were stretched out and needed to be replaced, the collar was rotted which couldn’t be seen in the photos, the hide needed to be reconditioned and the lining needed to be repaired. All original parts had to be sourced to match the parts being replaced . The jacket went from a $295.00 purchase price to $800. with the additional cost of the labor involved to do the work.
I’ve said this a number of times but I’ll share the analogy with you again. Buying a vintage jacket like this without having it in hand, is like stepping into the center of a puddle of dark water. You never know how deep that puddle is, whether it’s 6 inches deep or 6 feet deep until you’re standing in the middle of it.
Let us know how this all turns out and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Pilot

200 US$ only ? on restoration work for replacing knits, zipper, mouton, mending the liner… assuming the leather nursing is home work and all needed balm/ soap etc is already available…
A bit on the lower end IMHO..

Brettafett

100% @B-Man2
This is the crux of the query.

I know my ballpark refurb costs, the jacket fits quite well, but costs add up.
Most B, C & D G-1s are still in good to mint shape, with little to do but replace knits, a bit of a clean and condition.

Older G-1s, M-422s, ANs etc tend to need a lot more work done, making them often, in my book....
Not worth the investment, unless there is something very special or unique about the jacket.

Pilot

200 US$ only ? on restoration work for replacing knits, zipper, mouton, mending the liner… assuming the leather nursing is home work and all needed balm/ soap etc is already available…
However Burt is right in the end of his answer…
A 200 US$ G-1 can quickly become a 800 US$
G-1 with all the costs piling up… and you end up with a „ mol sted, repaired, patched and pasted jacket‘“…
Why then not buying up front a genuine unmolested G-1 in 42“ for 800 US$ +/-?

Last edited:

B-Man2

Brice
Maybe I wasn’t clear on that. The $200. Was for knits and zip change on this jacket. The other work that I mentioned was on my jacket that needed to be done once I had the jacket in hand and realized it needed far more work than the photos showed. If Brett’s jacket needs the same type of work once he has it then yes it will be much more costly . That was what I was trying to convey in my post.
You are correct that it cost much more than $200. By the time it was finished I had an additional $500 invested in the jacket .

Brettafett

The guy I use is based in London. He is far more reasonable than the jacket makers, knows his stuff and is a collector himself.
Does immaculate work.
I have had a number of jackets refurbished by him, to varying degrees. I'll trust no one else ;)
But I do have to find the materials (costs)

I've been burned a couple of times with originals. They look good after due diligence, but once in hand, the costs add up.
The end thing is lovely, but still doesn't fit 100% or you find something better, and then you try sell, and lose money, because its not worth what cost you all incl.

Pilot

Brice
Maybe I wasn’t clear on that. The $200. Was for knits and zip change on this jacket. The other work that I mentioned was on my jacket that needed to be done once I had the jacket in hand and realized it needed far more work than the photos showed. If Brett’s jacket needs the same type of work once he has it then yes it will be much more costly . That was what I was trying to convey in my post.
You are correct that it cost much more than $200. By the time it was finished I had an additional $500 invested in the jacket .
Thanks Burt,
That clarifies it … even if I doubt that even Mash zips/knits plus shipping/duties etc .. plus labor ( by a pro ) will fit in the 200 US $ scheme :)

Members online

Latest posts