• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 Stars for 5 Star Leather; The DuBow and Doniger Goatskin A2’s .

ZuZu

Hello ,ZuZu , i feel the same about WW2 boots now that i'm a happy owner of orginal ones . Looking at "bad" or average quality repro on the market makes me feel a little angry sometimes. But in the other hand i understand the need for some peope to aquire just a repro ( casual wear a little % and most for re-enacment ) . I started with a pair of jump boots and service shoes type 2 from Miltec : cheap and low quality , and then went to Corcoran and ATF at that time the best manufacturer and seller in the US ( i'm not talking about some Japanese brands and modern heritage Us brands ) . I wasn't satisfied 'till i bought my 1st pair of original WW2 Corcoran in mint condition ( i had to resole them with original well preserved soles ) . since this day i hunt for and only wear original stuff , that is not the cheapest way : high price + import taxes when i find them in the US ( i live in France ) + cobbler 95% of time . I cannot go elsewhere now i'm aware about the subtile differences between the old ones and the contemporary ones - even good quality -( general shape of the soles , stiches , leather ... ) . I'm new in this forum and in flight jackets an i don't want to go immediatly in the high end quality / price . I have to test , to read , to understand and learn why and how i can recongnise the high end quality . So i bought a 5 star Dubow 27798 horsehide redish brown and i'm really happy with . Now i have to learn the subtilities between average good and top quality , and then i'll go to GW or E M L . PS : Like you said in an other thread about Bronson MFG , i'm waiting for their A2 version , just to see . RePS : I don' use google translator , so be kind for my english
You suffer with boots what I suffer with repro flight jackets. Even the best ones still can't seem to really be like an original. I wouldn't buy a repro Navy jacket- there's too many very wearable originals. At 70 my conditions for wearing originals have changed and I'm not afraid to do it. With A-2s it's a bit of a problem although I think if I found one in perfect shape I'd wear it instead of a repro- hell- I did it throughout the 70s and 80s! ('til my carpenter shoulders made my original Bronco too tight). Original A-2s just have too many possibilities for a horrible failure- so wearing them is a gamble. One guy gets the problem- so I can wear a 95% of the way there jacket.

My son is a boot guy- I find it strange because- feet!

ZuZu

Nice to see they let you out to play, if only for a day Jeff. Hope you are keeping well. The following is not aimed at you or anyone in particular, especially not Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

Profound statement No. 21…

With no makers in mind, generally speaking, at the end of the day, when all is said and done, if truth be told, without a word of a lie….

Top tier, low tier or any tier in between…

A reproduction of anything is still a reproduction, it is not and never can be an original of whatever it is it is attempting to be a copy of.

Want an 100% original of anything, obtain an original. Following this simple rule will save getting an ulcer and lodging complaints about reproductions not being 100% the same as an original. Life is too short.

;)

The above is intended to be tongue in cheek. No offence to persons or person alive or dead is meant or intended. No animals were harmed in the making of this post.
Wise words and as I said just now- only original Navy jackets for me.

As far as the repro A-2- I really do think that a reproduction that's 99% of the way there is possible- well for one guy... There is fun in criticizing and lodging complaints- I like the battle! Were you around for the great Bespoke Eastman smoooooooth leather days? Look how much repros have changed since then- because of whining and complaining!

LV426

You suffer with boots what I suffer with repro flight jackets. Even the best ones still can't seem to really be like an original. I wouldn't buy a repro Navy jacket- there's too many very wearable originals. At 70 my conditions for wearing originals have changed and I'm not afraid to do it. With A-2s it's a bit of a problem although I think if I found one in perfect shape I'd wear it instead of a repro- hell- I did it throughout the 70s and 80s! ('til my carpenter shoulders made my original Bronco too tight). Original A-2s just have too many possibilities for a horrible failure- so wearing them is a gamble. One guy gets the problem- so I can wear a 95% of the way there jacket.

My son is a boot guy- I find it strange because- feet!
Hehehe , that's so true even for boots ! I had a bad experience with a really nice pair of type2 , they were stocked in a very dry environment , so the leather was like cardboard . Thankfully my cobbler is a true Art-isan and i communicate with him my passion for restaurating History. About OG A2 i would not go for . I undestood your words ! It is not as the repro boots , manufacturers like GW or ELJ seems to be very accurate and attached to be true to originals. Life time guarentee . I love the words from "Saddleback leather" : They'll fight over it when you're dead . I still sometimes wear the leather jacket that my father ordered from a craftsman in the 1950s ( pic ). About the age , i'm 55 , before my 45 i wasn't very aware about that thinking , now i know ;) . You think well . ahaha because feet ? I don't really understand , but when you are a boot guy , the jackets goes with ;) ( His seems to be pleased with his bronson M421 ;) )
20240601_091204.jpg

Micawber

Apologies Burt, I was remiss yesterday in not thanking you for your thoughts regarding your 5* jackets and service received from Shawn. Excellent words and photos as always :)

Spitfireace

To quote Burt "That if I walked into a room with 100 people wearing a top tier jacket and then walked out of the room and changed to an economy example of that same jacket … that 99% of the people in that room would never know the difference." This is what I've maintained, that 99 per cent of people can't tell the difference between a $250 jacket and a $2500 jacket.