• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 Stars for 5 Star Leather; The DuBow and Doniger Goatskin A2’s .

B-Man2

It’s no secret that most of us here have our favorites when it comes to jacket manufacturers. Many of us are Good Wear fans while others among us prefer Eastman Leather jackets and clothing. While I consider myself in the Good Wear fan club, I have to take a minute to tell you guys about a couple of new 5 Star jackets that in my opinion are nice options and are great values for the money. I had purchased a Sky King jacket from Shawn at 5 Star a couple of years ago and the jacket has been awesome. It’s great for colder weather and the cowhide is very comfortable and durable. So I decided to contact Shawn at 5 Star and ask him a few questions about his premium goatskin DuBow. At that time I didn’t have a goatskin A2 and had read a lot about the new 5 Star premium goat that they were using for their DuBow 27798. After a couple of email exchanges I was convinced that I would give the DuBow a try. This time I decided to go a size larger as I wanted to get away from the traditional trim fitting T-shirt only jackets that I’ve purchased in the past. I wanted something that I could layer under or at least wear a C-2 or a “Great Escape “ sweatshirt under. So I took measurements of every A2 I thought fit a little loosely and draped nicely and came up with a set of measurements, I thought would work for me. I sent them into 5 Star and sat back and waited for about 10 days.
When the DuBow showed up at my door I was definitely impressed. The premium DuBow goatskin in Seal looked very nice and the fit was exactly what I had hoped for. The premium goatskin is a little heavier than what some might prefer as it’s a bit thicker, but it hasn’t been broken it yet ( remember this is Florida and our jacket wearing time is short) so I have to get into wearing it a bit more. Bottom line is, I really like the jacket and it’s great value for the money. Now just a word to those who will immediately want to compare this jacket to a Good Wear or an Eastman…… C’mon guys this is definitely not a fair comparison. 5 Star Leather is producing nice jackets but let’s give them a few more years of making these jackets before you try to match them against the two top tier jacket makers . However, there’s no doubt that this jacket would definitely be on par with those two makers in their early days of production, and the price is really a great deal for the quality of this jacket . In fact I like the jacket so much that I ordered a second goatskin Doniger from 5 Star. This time I went with the regular goatskin which is more medium or brown color. I picked the same measurements and when the Doniger arrived I was once again impressed with that jacket as well. The fit at the drape of both jackets will be perfect once I get them broken in. So let me say a few words about 5 Stars customer service. Both Shawn and his brother are great to deal with . Emails get answered in about 2 days and you can ask them as many questions as you need to, they will always respond. So here are photos of both jackets . It’s just too hot outside at the moment but later I’ll post some fit pictures for you guys. As always please feel free to post your comments both positive and negative. I’d just ask that you be fair in your opinions and comparisons.
Cheers to all
Top;Sky King
Middle; DuBow
Bottom; Doniger
IMG_3251.jpeg

DuBow 27798
IMG_3468.jpeg
IMG_3469.jpeg
IMG_3470.jpeg
IMG_3472.jpeg
IMG_3471.jpeg
IMG_3473.jpeg

Outdoors
IMG_3474.jpeg

Last edited:

LV426

It’s no secret that most of us here have our favorites when it comes to jacket manufacturers. Many of us are Good Wear fans while others among us prefer Eastman Leather jackets and clothing. While I consider myself in the Good Wear fan club, I have to take a minute to tell you guys about a couple of new 5 Star jackets that in my opinion are nice options and are great values for the money. I had purchased a Sky King jacket from Shawn at 5 Star a couple of years ago and the jacket has been awesome. It’s great for colder weather and the cowhide is very comfortable and durable. So I decided to contact Shawn at 5 Star and ask him a few questions about his premium goatskin DuBow. At that time I didn’t have a goatskin A2 and had read a lot about the new 5 Star premium goat that they were using for their DuBow 27798. After a couple of email exchanges I was convinced that I would give the DuBow a try. This time I decided to go a size larger as I wanted to get away from the traditional trim fitting T-shirt only jackets that I’ve purchased in the past. I wanted something that I could layer under or at least wear a C-2 or a “Great Escape “ sweatshirt under. So I took measurements of every A2 I thought fit a little loosely and draped nicely and came up with a set of measurements, I thought would work for me. I sent them into 5 Star and sat back and waited for about 10 days.
When the DuBow showed up at my door I was definitely impressed. The premium DuBow goatskin in Seal looked very nice and the fit was exactly what I had hoped for. The premium goatskin is a little heavier than what some might prefer as it’s a bit thicker, but it hasn’t been broken it yet ( remember this is Florida and our jacket wearing time is short) so I have to get into wearing it a bit more. Bottom line is, I really like the jacket and it’s great value for the money. Now just a word to those who will immediately want to compare this jacket to a Good Wear or an Eastman…… C’mon guys this is definitely not a fair comparison. 5 Star Leather is producing nice jackets but let’s give them a few more years of making these jackets before you try to match them against the two top tier jacket makers . However, there’s no doubt that this jacket would definitely be on par with those two makers in their early days of production, and the price is really a great deal for the quality of this jacket . In fact I like the jacket so much that I ordered a second goatskin Doniger from 5 Star. This time I went with the regular goatskin which is more medium or brown color. I picked the same measurements and when the Doniger arrived I was once again impressed with that jacket as well. The fit at the drape of both jackets will be perfect once I get them broken in. So let me say a few words about 5 Stars customer service. Both Shawn and his brother are great to deal with . Emails get answered in about 2 days and you can ask them as many questions as you need to, they will always respond. So here are photos of both jackets . It’s just too hot outside at the moment but later I’ll post some fit pictures for you guys. As always please feel free to post your comments both positive and negative. I’d just ask that you be fair in your opinions and comparisons.
Cheers to all
Top;Sky King
Middle; DuBow
Bottom; Doniger
Hello , has you know , i'm hard core fan with original WW2 era military boots and newcomer with flight jackets . By reading threads on this site about them i'm learning a lot . I just received my 5Star Dubow 277798 horside and was very pleased , more than that , quite impressed by the quality / price . As you say , the communication with Shawn Ali and his brother is reaaly good , i gave all my measurements and let them do the work : result is fitting like a glove ( funny , i had the same thinking about the wearing : keep anough space to wear a sweat shirt or a woolen sweater . I think , with what i learned from "Vintage leather " the 5Star brand is ...the best (?) way to beggin without loosing an arm and becoming aware of all the subtilities - they are so numerous !!! . I think i will give a try on a A1 5Star afetr this one , but before i want to see how it breaks in and have little patina after one year wearing ( i live in Paris , so : sunny / Rainny / windy ... ) . What i like with 5Star , has a "little" brand is the great choices of way to custom your jacket ( leather , size , linner , zip ... ) . Well , someday , not so far , i will go to Good Wear or Eastman , don't know yet . Thank you for the review ! Live long and pépère ( french slang for cushy )
_ hope my english is legible

flyincowboy

Been a fan of 5 star products since Shawn and his team have refurbished my INHERITANCE B3 which is a keeper . Got another 5* RW B3 with seal brown facings a RW 27752 steerhide and a Dubow 27798 MID BROWN HH which fit like a glove. with 5 STARS the jackets are affordables !you dont need to break the bank to get a nice jacket and waiting another year to get it FAST PROMPT DELIVERY SERVICES for made to order jackets.

Last edited:

LV426

Been a fan of 5 star products since Shawn and his team have refurbished my INHERITANCE B3 which is a keeper . Got another 5* RW B3 with seal brown facings a RW 27752 steerhide and a Dubow 27798 MID BROWN HH which fit like a glove. with 5 STARS the jackets are affordables !you dont need to brake the bank to get a nice jacket and waiting another year to get it FAST PROMPT DELIVERY SERVICES for made to order jackets.
That's exactly my though : xtrem good communication , quality of manufacturing / Custom possible / quality of matirial . You can see that they want to get the best for everyone.

Skyranger

The communication with Shawn is amazing, the customizations of the jackets are an asset, the fact remains that the overall quality is not up to par with other reputable brands, whether in terms of leather or manufacturing. For my A-2 between the base price, modifications, TIP, shipping and taxes, I got more than €500. So very close to second-hand jackets more in line with the original ones. The interest is therefore more in the "visual" and the "practical", for example for internal pockets and adapted measurements. It remains a good alternative to start at a lower cost and provide work to developing countries. That said, not a single woman in the brand's workshops in the photos, personally that limits my desire to buy again.

johnwayne

Just don't get these jackets. They're like caricatures of originals. To me it's as if people are seeing a totally different thing than I do. The flaws just leap out to me- and to me it seems that 100 years of hard wear will do nothing to fix them.
Hmm, I’m of the same view ZuZu and have been since they came on the scene but try to be mindful because it’s obvious 5Star have a lot of fans. Said before those leathers look too ‘Chocolaty’ to me but I guess if some are happy that’s all that matters, you certainly can’t argue for the price and in all honesty I’ve softened a bit but could still not ever see myself going their way.

B-Man2

Hmm, I’m of the same view ZuZu and have been since they came on the scene but try to be mindful because it’s obvious 5Star have a lot of fans. Said before those leathers look too ‘Chocolaty’ to me but I guess if some are happy that’s all that matters, you certainly can’t argue for the price and in all honesty I’ve softened a bit but could still not ever see myself going their way.
I’ve always thought that first and foremost VLJ is an opinion related forum and as such there are no wrong or right opinions. So negative and positive responses are welcome here. So everyone please feel free to share your thoughts .
So .. here’s another opinion that some may agree or disagree with.
I’ve always thought that we as a group tend to get right down to the nitty gritty and minutiae of these jackets and we tend to examine , scrutinize and report on the most intricate details of each makers jackets .( I’m not throwing stones here … I live in that glass house too! ) But I also believe that we are a small group, our own individual group of collectors , a brotherhood of its own.
In reality I always thought that we are the 1% ers . That if I walked into a room with 100 people wearing a top tier jacket and then walked out of the room and changed to an economy example of that same jacket … that 99% of the people in that room would never know the difference. So I think that while many of these jackets don’t fully replicate the most intricate details of an original wartime issued A2, that they still have a place in the world of repro A2 jackets .
Once again just my opinion .

Last edited:

Pa12

I’ve always thought that first and foremost VLJ is an opinion related forum and as such there are no wrong or right opinions. So negative and positive responses are welcome here. So everyone please feel free to share your thoughts .
So .. here’s another opinion that some may agree or disagree with.
I’ve always thought that we as a group tend to get right down to the nitty gritty and minutiae of these jacket and we tend to examine , scrutinize and report on the most intricate details of each makers jackets .( I’m not throwing stones here … I live in that glass house too! ) But I also believe that we are a small group, our own individual group of collectors , a brotherhood of its own.
In reality I always thought that we are the 1% ers . That if I walked into a room with 100 people wearing a top tier jacket and then walked out of the room and changed to an economy example of that same jacket … that 99% of the people in that room would never know the difference. So I think that while many of these jackets don’t fully replicate the most intricate details of an original wartime issued A2, that they still have a place in the world of repro A2 jackets .
Once again just my opinion .
100 percent Burt. What ever makes you happy is the right one for you

flyincowboy

Don't forget that high end jackets from top tier makers are often rare on your size (secondhand.= you have to be lucky to find one your size) The price on the second hand market is not that cheap when you can get a brand new jacket for half the price of a second hand Elc / Gw The choice is easilly made. just my 2 cts

bseal

Burt,

Congrats and thank you for sharing. I thoroughly enjoyed your review and images.

It appears many formerly staunch GW acolytes have slowly drifted towards 5 Star.

I think most of here just get off on the hunt and anticipation rather than the acquisition; perhaps the acronym VLJ is just a euphemism for hunter gatherer?

Since the majority of us (oh how I loved my Aeropostale back in 1986) started with lower priced apparel before inexorably making the leap, makes one wonder if it's just things coming full circle.

Speaking of circles, this is for the individuals that won't take the 5 Star plunge:

fast_good_cheap.JPG

P.S. I have been thinking about purchasing one of their Helmet or Aviators Kit bags and because children grow out of things so quickly, maybe a cost effective kid's jacket too.

Last edited:

LV426

Hello ,ZuZu , i feel the same about WW2 boots now that i'm a happy owner of orginal ones . Looking at "bad" or average quality repro on the market makes me feel a little angry sometimes. But in the other hand i understand the need for some peope to aquire just a repro ( casual wear a little % and most for re-enacment ) . I started with a pair of jump boots and service shoes type 2 from Miltec : cheap and low quality , and then went to Corcoran and ATF at that time the best manufacturer and seller in the US ( i'm not talking about some Japanese brands and modern heritage Us brands ) . I wasn't satisfied 'till i bought my 1st pair of original WW2 Corcoran in mint condition ( i had to resole them with original well preserved soles ) . since this day i hunt for and only wear original stuff , that is not the cheapest way : high price + import taxes when i find them in the US ( i live in France ) + cobbler 95% of time . I cannot go elsewhere now i'm aware about the subtile differences between the old ones and the contemporary ones - even good quality -( general shape of the soles , stiches , leather ... ) . I'm new in this forum and in flight jackets an i don't want to go immediatly in the high end quality / price . I have to test , to read , to understand and learn why and how i can recongnise the high end quality . So i bought a 5 star Dubow 27798 horsehide redish brown and i'm really happy with . Now i have to learn the subtilities between average good and top quality , and then i'll go to GW or E M L . PS : Like you said in an other thread about Bronson MFG , i'm waiting for their A2 version , just to see . RePS : I don' use google translator , so be kind for my english

Micawber

Nice to see they let you out to play, if only for a day Jeff. Hope you are keeping well. The following is not aimed at you or anyone in particular, especially not Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

Profound statement No. 21…

With no makers in mind, generally speaking, at the end of the day, when all is said and done, if truth be told, without a word of a lie….

Top tier, low tier or any tier in between…

A reproduction of anything is still a reproduction, it is not and never can be an original of whatever it is it is attempting to be a copy of.

Want an 100% original of anything, obtain an original. Following this simple rule will save getting an ulcer and lodging complaints about reproductions not being 100% the same as an original. Life is too short.

;)

The above is intended to be tongue in cheek. No offence to persons or person alive or dead is meant or intended. No animals were harmed in the making of this post.