• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII USAAF Aero Leather Jacket A-2 No. 42-15142-P Size 42

WW2 Buff

Here is an Aero Leather Jacket A-2 No. 42-15142-P for sale. What is your opinion of the jacket. The seller didn't give a detailed description (but this is probably because he doesn't know that much about the subject).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3951797686...-9fca-d2895f53c0ef|iid:1|vlpname:vlp_homepage

The jacket appears to be a correct original. The shape of the zipper from the back appears correct, annd it appears the zipper works. I noticed there is a seam about 1/2 inch above the waist band (front and back) that is not typically on A-2 jackets, but on WW2 B-10 jackets. I have seen this only once on an A-2 jacket in a book I have. What are your opinions gentlemen?

B-Man2

The knits are replacements and not correct . There’s a tear in the right shoulder seam .
There’s some rehab work needed right there .
But over all it’s worth the $900. But be prepared to sink another $300 or so into it.
Just a suggestion, you might want to rethink about posting a “Buy it Now” jacket that you’re interested in purchasing and asking for opinions . You run the risk of someone buying it out from under you . Next time download some photos of it and then ask for opinions . Not saying the people on this forum would do that, but if you go outside of this forum asking for opinions you could lose the jacket .

WW2 Buff

Thanks for your comments B-man 2 and 2BM2K. I had thought the same about the knits, but I wasn't sure. I like the jacket, but for the reasons you have listed above, I would rather wait for a jacket that doesn't need any rework. I agree and see what you have noted. Typically, I post photos, however, this time I have tried, but I was unable to post any these photos. I have no objections if any other members buy or make an offer (to the seller) for the jacket.

B-Man2

Thanks for your comments B-man 2 and 2BM2K. I had thought the same about the knits, but I wasn't sure. I like the jacket, but for the reasons you have listed above, I would rather wait for a jacket that doesn't need any rework. I agree and see what you have noted. Typically, I post photos, however, this time I have tried, but I was unable to post any these photos. I have no objections if any other members buy or make an offer (to the seller) for the jacket.
I understand your reservations about buying a jacket that needs work but can I suggest that sometimes you have to weigh the cost factors of having one repaired vs buying one that is in good condition . It will certainly mean the difference of hundreds of dollars more if you find one that’s in good condition. But it’s all up to you . Good luck with your search .
BTW what size are you I’m always looking for good homes for my originals .

WW2 Buff

I understand and agree with your point. Your advice is reasonable and commendable, however I am not looking for an A-2 jacket for myself to wear but to put on a torso. I had thought the knits on the Areo didn't look correct, but I was not certain. I knew there would be members on this forum who would tell me everything concerning that Areo jacket. This is the best A-2 jacket (and other jackets) forum on the internet! Had the knits on the Areo been correct and had they not been replaced, I would have probably bought it. So thanks for the information. You have helped me!

Bye the way-I enjoy the photos of the members here who share photos of themselves wearing their original A-2s and B-3s, B-10s and B-15s. They do an excellent job, and it is an excellent way to display their collection. I love Bill Kelso's and Goodwear's repo A-2s and I look at their pages sometimes. I think their prices for what they offer are not unfair for the details they offer, but for me, for now, I would rather have an original.

Silver Surfer

My little lap top is not giving me a very good pic og the vertical crease in the center of the back. Just a crease or a repair? P to p measurement is screwy, too.

P-47 thunderbolt

I would say looks pretty good for the price. Especially considering the Masters of the Air will surely boost interest and prices likely to rise

Micawber

My little lap top is not giving me a very good pic og the vertical crease in the center of the back. Just a crease or a repair? P to p measurement is screwy, too.

Looks like a storage fold crease both in the shell and lining. Seems fair for the money but budget for a bit of work if you are fussy.

Brettafett

Looks like someone added a seam at the waist, replacing the waistband. Cant 'fix' that.
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.11.31.png
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.11.42.png
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.11.54.png