• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 fit is irrelevant

tater

"WW2 fit" is basically the best you could do when picking from "Regular" sizes in a few different contracts at most. Getting what to anyone in particular might be a "perfect" fit would be random, or you'd have to tailor it (likely only done for people grossly out of size who had the wherewithal to do so).

Given that even within manufacturers and contracts actual sizes varied within a "Regular" size, a "real" fit would be within whatever the range of variation was within a mfg/contract. If a size 42 Dubow 20960 had a nominal set of measurements that varied by ~ +-5% for each (chest, shoulders, etc) then if you wear a 42, and your jacket is a 42R +-5% then it's a "ww2 fit." If your custom 42 is off by 15% in some measurement, then it likely isn't strictly speaking an "issue" fit, but would be a ww2 fit for a private purchase or re-tailor job (both of which happened I assume, even if rare). It's also important to note that the difference to the next size is in fact small. A 40 to 42 is a ~5% change, so even such a small individual variation in jackets can really alter things in terms of what "size" they are.

Bottom line is that the real life variation was so huge as to make a notion of a particular fit pretty unlikely.

tgd31968

As many veterans have said, the army issued two uniform sizes. Too big and Too small.

It is fun to throw a wildcat into the room once in a while, but this is a circular argument.

Wear what you like, because when you get right down to it, for me, the A2 is one of the most inconvienent, uncomfortable jackets I own. Frankly, my B-3 is the only thing that is worse. If I want to be really warm, in the winter, I go for about any other jacket I own. My cwu-45 is ten times the winter jacket. But, I wear them anyway, because I want to.

Tim P

tgd31968 said:
As many veterans have said, the army issued two uniform sizes. Too big and Too small.

It is fun to throw a wildcat into the room once in a while, but this is a circular argument.

Wear what you like, because when you get right down to it, for me, the A2 is one of the most inconvienent, uncomfortable jackets I own. Frankly, my B-3 is the only thing that is worse. If I want to be really warm, in the winter, I go for about any other jacket I own. My cwu-45 is ten times the winter jacket. But, I wear them anyway, because I want to.

precisely ;)

capt71

tgd31968 said:
Uh-oh. You may have just shot at a couple of VLG Sacred Cows! Get ready to duck!! :lol: