WW2 A2 issuing question (can't seem to word this in any better way!)

Discussion in 'How To Info' started by regius, Mar 18, 2017.

1. regius

regius Member

Ok, Andrew, John, and gentlemen, I'm afraid my English forbids me from phrasing this question in any clearer way, so please bear with me.

I have been curious about the patterns of contracts available for issuing from the say, quartermaster stores. Say all the graduates or new flyers who are stationed at the same base or receive their jackets in the same period. Would they get the same contract? Or, the contracts of that year all got mixed up and issued randomly. Thank you!

2. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

My understanding is that A2s were issued to cadets during training and others were of course issued in the theatre. I have not seen evidence that A2s from a particular contract were issued to personnel at the same training facility, although I'm sure batches of jackets from the same maker were sent to the same QMS. The problem is aircrew do not appear to have taken much notice who made their A2s in the War and have not left evidence on this subject.

3. ausreenactor

ausreenactor Well-Known Member

As the Cadets and soldiers with five fingers moved through the supply chain they would have burned through stock as demand dictated. All of the kit would go through larger centralized supply stores and then as the orders came through the logisitics chain they would have gone out the door. With the top boxes going first... Older contracts could sit on the bottom for months if they kept getting topped up. Nothing has changed since the Romans hit up the first blacksmith... I did one see an item in our clothing store that had a Mar 14 manufacture date.... in Dec 13? I called bullshit!

4. ausreenactor

ausreenactor Well-Known Member

Except for rations.. they have a shelf life...