• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTF is up with Aero

SuinBruin

I ordered an Aero cafe racer (in black midweight HH) through Mark Moye's eBay listing on October 1, 2009. Mark confirmed the order within a couple of days, we discussed measurements, and he told me it would be ready before Christmas. Everything sounded good.

I touched base with Mark on one of the jacket details in early December. At that time he reiterated the before Christmas time frame, or that, "worst case," it would be made after the Aero employees return from their holiday break in early January. OK, great, no problem.

Then early February rolled around and still no jacket and no word from Mark. I emailed him again and he told me it's "2-3 weeks away." At that point I was starting to grind my teeth a bit, but I waited that long, so what's a few more weeks, right?

February is over. March is almost gone. I still have no jacket and no update. April 1 will mark exactly 6 months since I ordered the jacket. So I emailed Mark again today and the new time frame I was given is literally "sometime after they return from Easter break on the 5th." So that is at least more than six months from when I ordered, and, reading Mark's update literally, could frankly be at any point in the indefinite future. Hell, at this point it might not be 'til Doomsday (assuming the world doesn't end before April 5, 2010).

Meanwhile, other people who ordered after I did have already gotten their jackets in less than half the time I've been waiting. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=48304 This is frustrating.

Waiting is not a problem in and of itself. I've ordered bespoke hats from Steve Delk and Marc Kitter, and custom jackets from Tony Nowak and John Chapman. Each has involved a wait. But in every instance, I could get reasonable time estimates from the maker in question, and in every case, the maker was an individual craftsman doing things on his own. Aero, by contrast, is a company with multiple employees actively marketing itself on the internet and on eBay (without, I might add, anything about how much time it would take to get a jacket from them). For a retail jacket company to take over 6 months to deliver a product (without any great deal of customization or pattern modification) is, to be charitable, lame. To have such a wait attended by a virtual complete lack of communication is pisspoor.

At this point I could probably get a refund from Mark, but having waited this long and unbelted $675 six months ago I want the jacket, not the money. I also want to be treated like an adult and given reasonably accurate information about time estimates and what might happen to slow things down. Why am I waiting twice as long as other Aero customers to get what I ordered?

Seeing Aero's A-2 offerings and comparing them to those of other makers, and then going through this ridiculous wait, I can safely say I will never order another Aero jacket again.

Thanks for letting me vent.

aerob6girl

That's excessive. Spending the money that some of us do on jackets makes it even more stressful waiting THAT long for a jacket. And you'd think that you wouldn't have to hound Mark so much for an update - after awhile you'd think he'd want to reach out to you without you making the first move. Anyway, hope you get your jacket soon so you can post some photos of how great it looks! :)

John Lever

My advice would be to go directly to Aero in Scotland for an answer.
They are so busy that they have machinists working through the night. They may have forgotten your jacket.
Send Amanda an e-mail -
[email protected]

MikeyB-17

Yeah, that would be my advice-go direct, tell them what you've told us. I'd be surprised if that didn't get results.

A

Anonymous

I think you have gotten the crap end of the stick but I do think you're being a bit unfair blaming Aero and not Mark Moye UNTIL you get the facts.

Don't use a blunderbuss - use a sniper rifle !

Dave

Burnsie

John Lever said:
My advice would be to go directly to Aero in Scotland for an answer.
They are so busy that they have machinists working through the night. They may have forgotten your jacket.
Send Amanda an e-mail -
[email protected]

I second this. I had a minor zipper issue on one of my Aero's a couple months back - since it was ordered through Mark I wrote to him - no response. 2nd email - unclear response. 3rd email - no response at all. I wrote to Amanda directly. She responded immediately. 2nd email - immediate response and tips on zipper surgery. 3rd email - zipper surgery was successful and she asked me to keep her posted!
I was very impressed with Aero but had to go direct.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

SuinBruin

Thanks for the input everyone. I emailed Amanda yesterday but have not heard back; they must be on Easter break already. Argh.

Andreart

I've dealt with aero a couple of times, had some issues, but they always made it right. Amanda is the real deal, she'll help u out for sure.

SuinBruin

Amanda got in touch with me on Monday (they were off last week for the Easter holiday). The jacket is supposed to be made next week.

When I confirmed this with Mark, he actually wrote me back, "Great, just as I had said." Uh, what? Mark gave me three prior time estimates (before Christmas, sometime in January, sometime in late February) that were complete BS. And his final "accurate" estimate (sometime after April 5) was virtually meaningless... it could have meant April 6, 2010, or April 6, 2020, or any point in between. So having him take credit for giving me an "accurate" time frame on the fourth try (hey, one out of four ain't bad) strikes me as a tad disingenuous.

Now, to be fair to Mark, I don't know where he was getting his time estimates... he may have been hounding Aero every day about my order and only getting back the info he passed on to me. But the bottom line is that six months is too long a wait for a jacket from a retail source, particularly when it's more than twice as long as the initial estimate. And Mark did not touch base with me about the ever-expanding wait... I had to email him to get an update.

I'll withhold final judgment until I have the jacket in my hands and am able to judge the quality and fit for myself... but so far, the Aero experience has been somewhat lacking for me.

arclight

Geez man; feeling your pain. Getting ready to order a jacket from Aero. Doing it all over again, would you go through Mark or direct to Amanda? I'm somewhat perplexed......all this ad dollars for the e-bay store thing plus Mark's commission; seems to me why does Aero need Aero Leather USA only to treat people like you with that kind of brush off. Really hope your jacket comes in soon and everything is right.
Regards.......Tom

SuinBruin

arclight said:
Doing it all over again, would you go through Mark or direct to Amanda?
Good question. I went through Mark because getting the jacket through eBay was cheaper (free shipping, no chance of getting hit with customs, 8% cash back from Microsoft). Whether it affected the wait or not I can't say for certain, but it seems not to have helped.

Based on my experience and what I've seen posted on the hat forum, Aero seems to have some pretty big discrepancies in delivery times, and there is no way of telling beforehand how long it might take. Boiling it down, if lead time is an issue, I'd probably deal with Amanda. If cost is the overriding concern, going through Mark might make more sense.

SuinBruin

Update: I finally received the jacket yesterday. It fits well and the midweight horsehide is very nice. It's surprisingly smooth and soft with little grain, yet still quite heavy (heavier than my A-2s, though the cafe racer is a short fitting jacket). It's almost totally unlike the horsehide I've seen from other sources (i.e., Good Wear jackets and samples).

Overall the wait was unreasonable, but I am pleased with the jacket. Next up is the GW Dubow with NOS Crown zip..... should only be a couple more months. :lol: