• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrinkles

Aerosquad

Hello all,

Just picked up a nice G1, unisssued, but badly wrinkled from storage. Would anyone know the best way to get the wrinkles out ?

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum. It would be helpful to see some pics of the G-1. If the wrinkles are from storage wearing the jacket will help. Alternatively you could wet the leather and try stretching the goatskin to remove the wrinkles.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
The wrinkles should eventually disappear from wear, and hanging in the closet.

If it's necessary, iron on a low heat with a cloth, or brown paper.

I just bought a G-1 from Goodwill a few weeks back. It was so wrinkled up and had this white film on some of the leather, don't know what it was from. Dried mildew maybe?? It looked so bad I got it for $4.00. I took it home and turned on the shower as hot as it would go. I soaked it down with the shower head and took my hand and pressed out the wrinkles. 99% of them came out, I put it on a hanger and then bent some other hangers and propped the body of the jacket open and let it dry out. Then I put lexol on it on it looked like a totally different jacket. The wrinkles left are more of just leather graining which I like. It worked for me, here's the result.
G1001.jpg

G1002.jpg

Aerosquad

Thank all...I think I will just let it hang for a while and as it gets cooler start to wear it. I was surprised how much thinner the leather is than my ELC G-1. This is a present issue USCG jacket that apparently are folded up prior to issue. I got it for $90. Would you say that is a fair price ?