• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wow ! is it for real ??

Falcon_52

I'm not an expert by any means but it looks legitimate. One oddity is that the "L" on the label for the size 46L looks kind of like an afterthought. No other letters on the label look like this. I'm sure there is a logical explanation, though.

Noel

TankBuster

Falcon_52 said:
I'm not an expert by any means but it looks legitimate. One oddity is that the "L" on the label for the size 46L looks kind of like an afterthought. No other letters on the label look like this. I'm sure there is a logical explanation, though.

Noel

I've seen other original B-3 jackets with the "L". That is OK.

I agree that the belts look fresh, but the whole jacket is really nice, so I think it's all original.
Now the question is, how high will it go?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Falcon_52 said:

One oddity is that the "L" on the label for the size 46L looks kind of like an afterthought. No other letters on the label look like this. I'm sure there is a logical explanation, though.

The size 46 came in three varieties, Long Slender, Regular, and Stout ... I'm guessing that they ordered the labels with the basic sizes woven in, and altered them as required.

johnwayne

Wow what a nice shearling and lets hope it goes to a member - personally I'm not into them but given it has some provenance it would be good to see it go to someone who'll appreciate it and a real shame the seller need to offload it - I'd be gutted to have to sell it if it were my father's/grandfather's!!

Cheers
Wayne

rich

deeb7 said:
The size 46 came in three varieties, Long Slender, Regular, and Stout ... I'm guessing that they ordered the labels with the basic sizes woven in, and altered them as required.

Here's a chart, sorry for the low quality.... post some pics when it's with you Roughwear ;)

b3sizes-1.jpg

Roughwear

Rich, you'll have a long wait. Having just bought an excellent first contract RW A2 I don't have the funds for this jacket. But you could buy it!

Andrew

Pretty big for an original, I've never sen one in such a large size. Most appear to be 42. I'm wondering why would a mechanic have a B-3? I thought they only got D-1's. I suppose he might have traded or inherited it.

The write up sounds authentic but with the quality of repros increasing it's getting harder to pick a well broken in top end manfuacturer from an original. I don't know B-3 labels but I presume the repros have ELC or RM etc on them?

rich

Roughwear said:
Rich, you'll have a long wait. Having just bought an excellent first contract RW A2 I don't have the funds for this jacket. But you could buy it!

I'd really like to Andrew - but like you, funds beg to differ! I just hope it goes to a good home - I find it unsettling that a son would sell his father's stuff like this. I know I'm not aware of the circumstances but it never feels right to me.

Andrew

deeb7 said:
Andrew said:
I don't know B-3 labels but I presume the repros have ELC or RM etc on them?

... not if they're copies of an original contract.

So that'll make it hard. I reckon all repros should have some inbuilt form of identification.

John Lever

Andrew said:
Pretty big for an original, I've never sen one in such a large size. Most appear to be 42. I'm wondering why would a mechanic have a B-3? I thought they only got D-1's. I suppose he might have traded or inherited it.

The write up sounds authentic but with the quality of repros increasing it's getting harder to pick a well broken in top end manfuacturer from an original. I don't know B-3 labels but I presume the repros have ELC or RM etc on them?
I am going to stick my neck out and say it's a very good repro, probably RMJ or RMNZ. The belts and acrylic do not look 70 years old. There is no crazing at all on the surface, and the jacket lacks that flattened look from long term storage.

havocpaul

many mechanics managed to obtain B-3's, sometimes ex-flying issue that might have damage or swapped and bartered.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Andrew said:

I am going to stick my neck out and say it's a very good repro, probably RMJ or RMNZ. The belts and acrylic do not look 70 years old. There is no crazing at all on the surface, and the jacket lacks that flattened look from long term storage.
I beg to differ. Its a well preserved original. I have seen and owned B3s in this condition.

asiamiles

Isn't there a flaw in the sheepskin across the left chest? My B-3 was like that across the back, but I don't think I've ever seen such on a repro. Plus the leather facing on the arms looks geuinely old to me.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Andrew, what do you think of the totally untarnished belt buckles and new looking leather ?
I have owned a couple of originals with pritine straps and buckles, John. This contract has never been reproduced. H. Bernstein is a likely maker for it.

havocpaul

I think that original I sold you Andrew a few years back was in better condition than this one, they are out there in top condition still.