• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

will you leave your balance on Paypal?

Andrew

I also transfer it as soon as possible, though I don't know for sure that they cant rip it out of your credit card account. Deeb do you have the answer?

Now I've started selling again it seems like I have a whole new world to learn to deal with and it's apparent how little rights a Seller has. My second sale back at it went bad with a buyer doing the negative feedback blackmail against me if I didn't reduce his shipping rate. Hardly seems worth the hassel for such low prices.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew said:
I also transfer it as soon as possible, though I don't know for sure that they cant rip it out of your credit card account. Deeb do you have the answer?

No, I don't think so, and you would dispute the charge if they tried.

Weasel_Loader

This is a topic I've often wondered about myself. I have yet to have a bad experience through ebay (since 1999), but know it's only a matter of time. The one thing I've always disliked is the fact they only let you transfer $500 a month to your bank account unless you "upgrade". :roll:

Stony

If you give them a credit card account to back up your Paypal account, yes they can ding it and they have on mine during a recent dispute. Once the dispute was over and the buyer paid what they owed, I had to transfer the Paypal balance to my checking account and then pay off my credit card balance.

If there is something I'm missing and the can't ding your credit card account without asking permission, then I'd like to know.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Stony said:
If there is something I'm missing and the can't ding your credit card account without asking permission, then I'd like to know.

Was it PayPal, Stony?

... or the buyer doing a charge back on the credit card he used to pay through PayPal?

ausreenactor

Gents,

I have had two claims made while holding no funds in the account. They put a big red -$???.?? total on the account and ask you to restore your negative balance by injecting funds. You can not use the account to pay, but you can receive payments. Thereby reducing the amount you owe Paypal, as they commence the dirty tactics to avoid paying up for a missing item. If you have a balance in another currency they convert the total and reduce your negative balance to that amount. I have never had them withdraw funds or charge the card for a dispute/claim.

Couchy

asiamiles

Andrew said:
My second sale back at it went bad with a buyer doing the negative feedback blackmail against me if I didn't reduce his shipping rate.

You should report him to eBay, not just for your own sake but for the protection of other sellers who might run into him and his dirty tactics.

Andrew

asiamiles said:
Andrew said:
My second sale back at it went bad with a buyer doing the negative feedback blackmail against me if I didn't reduce his shipping rate.

You should report him to eBay, not just for your own sake but for the protection of other sellers who might run into him and his dirty tactics.
Yeah Miles, I did send him the link to the description on feedback extortion which shut him up but as he was a pain I offered him the chance to cancel the sale. It's been relisted.

I have to say though for the first time in years ( and reading about Clive's appalling situation) i'm getting concerned about how i'm going to sell anything of high value on Ebay in future. What with the potential for losing your item and it's cost and getting crap undeserved feedback it's not worth it.

asiamiles

Andrew said:
I have to say though for the first time in years ( and reading about Clive's appalling situation) i'm getting concerned about how i'm going to sell anything of high value on Ebay in future. What with the potential for losing your item and it's cost and getting crap undeserved feedback it's not worth it.
Yes, even taking every precaution available you're still wide open to be ripped off if the buyer has the mind. All you can do is hope the person you're selling to is honest. Actually, with higher value stuff you're safer, as you can insure it and send it via a trackable method, whereas with low cost goods buyers won't pay for such high shipping costs.

Stony

Was it PayPal, Stony?

... or the buyer doing a charge back on the credit card he used to pay through PayPal?

The buyer paid me through Paypal, then filed a claim when I didn't ship it how he wanted. I then had a negative balance on my Paypal account and there was a charge on my credit card for the amount. Once the package arrived at its destination, they closed the claim and my Paypal account was positive again. However, there was still a charge on my credit card and I had to pay that.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Stony said:
The buyer paid me through Paypal, then filed a claim when I didn't ship it how he wanted. I then had a negative balance on my Paypal account and there was a charge on my credit card for the amount. Once the package arrived at its destination, they closed the claim and my Paypal account was positive again. However, there was still a charge on my credit card and I had to pay that.

So unless you had made a withdrawal, they must have debited/charged back more than the original credit, and then repaid a lesser amount?

Stony

So unless you had made a withdrawal, they must have debited/charged back more than the original credit, and then repaid a lesser amount?

Yes, I withdrew the original amount, so that's why my account was dinged when they filed the claim. For one, I don't like leaving a lot in the Paypal account.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Stony said:
Yes, I withdrew the original amount, so that's why my account was dinged when they filed the claim. For one, I don't like leaving a lot in the Paypal account.

Oh good, that's okay then, I'm glad it eventually worked out. Yes, not keeping much of a balnce there seems like a good idea.