• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

why always a B3?

John Lever

I can never quite understand how RM size their jackets, they always seem to be much smaller than tagged. Is it ever cool enough to wear that beauty in Oz ?

MikeyB-17

It's the collar as far as I'm concerned. I've had both a B-3 and an AN-J-4, and I much preferred the collar shape on the B-3.

Peter Graham

I know that the AN-J-4 is a more practical jacket but the B-3 is ionic. That's why more people prefer it. It the same as the A-2 v's Navy jackets argument. Of course the Navy jackets are a better, more practical design but the A-2 wins hands down in the icon stakes.

Steve H

John Lever said:
I can never quite understand how RM size their jackets, they always seem to be much smaller than tagged. Is it ever cool enough to wear that beauty in Oz ?

Yes John, theres one day every year in June here in Victoria that reaches 0 degrees!! :lol:

For me the collar is negligible. Yes, the B-3 is iconic and if you are going to wear something designed to keep you alive at 30,000 feet plus in minus God-knows-what-temperature, then you gotta expect an epic size collar to do the job! It wasn't fashion in those days and if you are going to wear these things for high street fashion in our current times then there are probably better styles for you if you don't like the original size/ design collars. If you are like me and just don't care then these are for you. Horses for courses. Plus mine is to go along with USAAF displays and reenactments so its perfect.

It is what it is! :cool:

Out

Steve

Marv

bseal said:
Here's why:

The_War_Lover.jpg

Image6-1.jpg

actor-steve-mcqueen-filming-the-war-lover-standing-by-flying-fortress-at-raf-bovingdon-aerodrome.jpg

JLB-3ELC.jpg

WagnerMcQueenAnne-Field.jpg

WA1919481.jpg

I know McQueen is the King of Cool but in this case, Robert Wagner looks far cooler I'm afraid. ;)

Never really been a big fan of the B3 as I have my ELC Irvin but I do like the look of ELC's .50 Cal B3 though......

Steve H

John Lever said:
My wife knows someone who was sick all over Steve McQueen in a fish restaurant.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thats why you should steer clear of fish restaurants :shock:

Otter

Bad oysters, always a problem, you should only ever eat them when there is an R in the month!! :lol: I do know someone who was sick all over Charles Kennedy, then Britains youngest MP. :oops:

derleicaman

I wore my B3 for the first time today as the weather here got a bit chilly Sunday night. 36 degrees this morning, figured it was cold enough for the B3. Man, this thing is warm! I had to drive to work with the windows open it was so warm. Yesterday, I wore a D-1 and it was perfect. Amazing difference between the two. Good thing I brought my GW RW 27752 in case the B3 was too warm. I think I'll be wearing that home tonight.

Steve H

derleicaman said:
I wore my B3 for the first time today as the weather here got a bit chilly Sunday night. 36 degrees this morning, figured it was cold enough for the B3. Man, this thing is warm! I had to drive to work with the windows open it was so warm. Yesterday, I wore a D-1 and it was perfect. Amazing difference between the two. Good thing I brought my GW RW 27752 in case the B3 was too warm. I think I'll be wearing that home tonight.

:lol: :lol: :lol: do you keep them in a golf bag? I think today I'll use the B-3 iron!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chandler

Steve H said:
do you keep them in a golf bag? I think today I'll use the B-3 iron!!!!

Oh sure, easy for you to laugh -- just going into spring on your side of the equator! It's flippin' 35° F (1.7°C) here in the Midwest US!

derleicaman

Steve H said:
derleicaman said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: do you keep them in a golf bag? I think today I'll use the B-3 iron!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
When I first read your response, I thought you were talking about my balls!?! :eek:

One does find interesting places to stash jackets around the house! Various closets and my shop in the basement and of course the car trunk. Don't want to have them all in one place as that might prove to be very embarrassing! I've collected high end cameras most of my life, and learned that dispersement is the smart path to follow. A-2s are sort of like Leicas to the unitiated; they all look the same after a while. :?