• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which manufacturer made the largest Irvins?

flyboy

In my search for a original Irvin - in a LARGE size, I have started to wonder wether all manufacturers made the Irvins in the same precise sizes - or wether there were some, who made the largest size larger than the others. I do remember reading something about it once - but can't remember where - or what.
So I thought this knowledgeable group of aficionados might know :)

Roughwear

Of course they were not just issued to pilots. The majority went to bomber crew and there were some big chaps among them! The largest size was a size 8. Some of the largest I have seen were made by Wareings, with an armpit measurement of around 26-27". Size 7 and 8 jackets were supposed to be the same size around the chest, but size 8s were a little longer in the body.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
armpit measurement of around 26-27
that's big

So a total of 52"-54" ... yeah, bigger than me, but not that big considering it was designed to wear over a uniform jacket. For a comparison, the B-3 was made up to size 50.

RCSignals

deeb7 said:
RCSignals said:
armpit measurement of around 26-27
that's big

So a total of 52"-54" ... yeah, bigger than me, but not that big considering it was designed to wear over a uniform jacket. For a comparison, the B-3 was made up to size 50.

So about the same for the B-3. about total chest circumference of 54 or so inches.

Didn't all the airforces have size limit standards for aircrew?

flyboy

RCSignals said:
What was the largest a pilot was acceptable to be?
I am 6'3 - exact same hight as Albert Gerald Lewis (- Hurricane pilot from Battle of France and battle of Britain.)
But I am not 22 years old anymore and have probably another build now than I had in my "skinny" youth.
And I seriously doubt I would feel very comfortable in a Hurricane or Spitfire cockpit today with a chestsize close to 52".

Besides that most people were both shorter and skinnier back then. And the jackets were made for them - not us.
But - as Andrew also pointed out - most jackets were made for aircrew in bomber command - and they came in many different sizes and heights. So I am still hoping. As you see here - it almost happened some time ago...so why not?

DuxfordBoB702010257JPG-2.jpg

coalman

Sorry to bring back an old post but I am asking is there an official list of Irvin sizes against hieght, and do todays manufacturers such as Aero and Eastman use it.

Andrew

Yep,

IRVIN JACKET SIZES
22C/317 1 Height...5' "2"- 5',4", breast 32"-34", waist..30"- 32"
22C/318 2 Height...5'4"- 5'6" Breast...34" -36" .waist....30"-32"
22C/319 3 HEIGHT 5' 7 - 5' 8" - BREAST 34-36" - WAIST 30-32"
22C/320 4 Height 5'.8/5.9" Breast 36"-38" Waist 32"-34"
22C/321 5 Height 5' 10" - 5' 11", breast 38"-40", waist 34"-36"
22C/322 6 Height 5'11 to 6'0" Chest 40-42 Waist 36-38
22C/323 7 Height 6'- 6'2" breast 42" -44", Waist 38"-40"
22C/324 8 Height 6' 2"‚ -6' 4"‚ breast 42"-44", waist 38" - 40"

per Andrew Swatland

coalman

hello Andrew,

Thank you for the info, do you know if the current replica manufacturers such as Aero, Eastman and Aces high use this information?

coalman

Just come across 2 photos of original jackets(sadly cannot upload them onto this page) which gives different sizing yet for the same size 5 .

1st label reads
Size 5
Hieght 5ft 10/11
Breast 38/40
Waist 34/36
D,G Ltd

2nd label reads
Size 5
Height 5ft 10/11
Breast 49
Waist 48
Ref 22A/848

Both are from original Irvins but now I am confused dot com

can anybody help?

John

Roughwear

The measurement given on the early/mid War labels are smaller than the actual sizes as they were designed to be worn over uniform jackets. The second example from a 1943 contract is very odd indeed. There are several similar labels, particularly those on Robinson and Ensum jackets (c. 1941-3) and the measurements given are significantly greater than the actual jacket sizes.