• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which jacket gets the most compliments ?

Tommer45

Anyone ever see someone out with a great leather jacket on, and think to yourself that maybe that person is into jackets like you are... so you go up to them and inquire and they look at you like you have two heads and say they have no idea who made their jacket? Happens a lot with watches too. It's amazing how many people buy expensive watches without knowing what they've got! I saw a guy with a Blancpain Fifty-Fathoms not long ago and when I told him his Fifty-Fathoms was a beauty he had no clue what I meant. He just knew he bought a nice, pricey Blancpain. Happened once with a guy and his Audemars too! Those people drive me nuts!

Tommer

John Lever

Recently I saw an Italian man at Salzburg airport going through boarding. He was wearing great boots, but unfortunately I was unable to approach him to ask where he got them from.

watchmanjimg

I hear you, Tommer. At some level the choice of what to wear can be regarded as a statement, but one must keep in mind that every statement is unique. Whereas you may want the world to see that you're a man of discerning tastes who prefers fine jackets and timepieces, that other schmuck just wants everyone to know that he spent way too much money on a watch. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Atticus

The thread asked about “compliments” so I didn’t talk about the "comments" that I get about my jackets from time to time.

There is a large population of retired military in this area so folks notice my jackets fairly often. They usually open a conversation with something like, “I used to have a jacket like that but I gave it to my son and never saw it again.” Or, “My wife threw it out when we moved to the retirement home.” I generally like to ask if they knew anything about their jacket (when it was made, who made it, when did they get it), but nobody has ever known the answers to my questions. I think their jackets were things they wore only because they had too.

Once, I was standing in a grocery store checkout line wearing an L2-b with my father’s name tag on the front. I heard a voice behind me say, “Ain’t you a bit old to be a butterbar lieutenant?" I turned and saw an elderly gentleman smiling at me. He was wearing a “Mighty Eighth” baseball cap. We ended up standing in front of the Harris Teeder for over an hour talking about his life and his war-time experiences.

AF

Tommer45

Atticus said:
The thread asked about “compliments” so I didn’t talk about the "comments" that I get about my jackets from time to time.
AF

Yeah I guess I sorta shifted gears. Atticus, great story.. it's great when you can connect with someone on a level like that. I had quite a few instances when I drove my father's pickup truck around, which had a Vietnam Veteran sticker on it, where Vets would come up and ask me about it and we'd chat for quite a while.

Tommer

Stony

The jacket I get the most compliments on is the one that attracts someone that says.............................

"I have my father's original WWII jacket with all the patches on it, do you want to buy it for $250?"

tgd31968

I get no commetns on my a-2. I decided it is because to the untrained eye it is just another brown leather jacket, and there are so many copies and knock offs.

But, I had my aero B-3 for the first winter last year, and had several compliments from guys. Women didn't seem to be all that interested. If I were gay, I guess I would be in luck.

My girlfriend is not all that impressed with my b-3 either, so maybe it really isn't a chick attracting jacket. I do think maybe an Irvn is a better blend of fashion and history.

Terry

Hawkeye

My Hartmann hasn't gotten any comments yet, the Irvin has gotten a couple, but strangely enough its been my new Cable A-2 thats been getting multiple compliments lately.