• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is the best replica brand?

mrhan

I'm looking for a good retro brand for the N-1 deck jacket. However, in South Korea, I can only get a small amount of information about the Japanese brand, so I asked because I wanted to get information about the quality of the brand like gizemo.

Last edited:

Pilot

N-1 데크재킷 레트로그레이드 브랜드를 찾고 있습니다. 한국에서는 일본 브랜드에 대한 이야기만 많아 중국 브랜드 기제모 같은 브랜드의 퀄리티가 궁금하다.
Translation:
I am looking for a N-1 deck jacket repro brand. In Korea, there is only a lot of adds about Japanese brands, so I am wondering about the quality of brands such as Gi-hairmo, a Chinese brand.

Pilot

Translation:
I am looking for a N-1 deck jacket repro brand. In Korea, there is only a lot of adds about Japanese brands, so I am wondering about the quality of brands such as Gi-hairmo, a Chinese brand.
안녕하세요. 환영합니다. 귀하에 대한 몇 마디와 이 페이지를 방문한 이유를 말씀해 주시면 감사하겠습니다.
가능하다면 영어로, 여기 소수만이 한국어를 말하거나 읽을 수 있기 때문입니다.
감사합니다

mrhan

안녕하세요. 환영합니다. 귀하에 대한 몇 마디와 이 페이지를 방문한 이유를 말씀해 주시면 감사하겠습니다.
가능하다면 영어로, 여기 소수만이 한국어를 말하거나 읽을 수 있기 때문입니다.
감사합니다
Hello, I'm Han Seung woo who lives in South Korea I asked the forum because the information on vintage and retrofit is limited in Korea. Thank you. I am using a translator because I am not good at English

Dany McDonald

Can you elaborate on the Gi-hairmo, a Chinese brand...?

Maybe post an image or link, its totally new to me or translator is playing with words.

The only good (my personal taste) N-1 Chinese repros I know is Gizemo. All other brands just copy Japanese jackets with unrealistic zippers, alpaca....

Hope this helps a bit.

D

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Exactly, they are superb and even better than Buzz

That is still a debate (friendly) in my book! I have an original and a Buzz N-1 and let me tell you that on this specific Buzz iteration that I own, they did a superb job at recreating the N-1 jacket.
Thing is I never handled a Gizemo and cant really compare, as the devil is in the details.

One of my first observation when comparing or just enjoying a repro is the hardware, color and details...

Dany

Last edited:

mrhan

That is still a debate (friendly) in my book! I have an original and a Buzz N-1 and let me tell you that on this specific Buzz iteration that I own, they did a superb job at recreating the N-1 jacket.
Thing is I never handled a Gizemo and cant really compare, as the devil is in the details.

One of my first observation when comparing or just enjoying a repro is the hardware, color and details...

Dany
Thank you for your answer. I wonder if you mean that gizemo is not only a good brand for its price, but also a quality axis compared to Japanese brands Free Wheelers McCoy and Buzz.

Dany McDonald

Depending on your price point in Korea for Gizemo, without having one in my hands and judging by other forum members positive input, I'd say yes its on par what some Japanese brands, some times...

Know that Gizemo was indentify as the maker of Bill kelso N-1 phase. Some forum members can expand on this as owners of Bill Kelso N-1.

Since you are focusing on comparing quality with the best of Japan, be aware that some model/year of lets say Real Mccoy did N-1's with NOS Talon or Conmar with a very high attention to details, like wales per cm (Jungle cloth) and exact N-1 stitching style, realistic alpaca, color etc... So to say that its better or what ever is optimistic.

Hope this helps a bit in your quest!

D

D97x7

Here's a link to a thread about Gizemo N-1, it says Bill Kelso but that's just because they were selling them, the actual jackets featured are made by Gizemo. I have the green one and it's excellent although the zip could be more accurate.

D97x7

Here's me wearing it
IMG_20230121_114117_copy_3614x3168.jpg

Grant

FWIW, I own Gizemo, Buzz, Real McCoy's reproductions and an original N-1. Each of the reproductions have their pluses and minuses when comparing to an original.
For water repellency of the Bedford Cord shell, Real McCoy's wins hands down.
For the correct thickness and warmth of the alpaca lining and collar, Gizemo is tops.
For accuracy of the USN stencil, Gizemo.
For the most accurate spec label, Gizemo again.
The repro zip pulls on all of them are lacking, but simple swap out with an original Conmar puller goes really well with the brass colored teeth on the Gizemo.

Just my two cents!