• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is the best A2 from Aero in Scotland?

flyboy

Hi gents
Half a year ago I went through my closet and got rid of all my A2's of different quality and from different makes. Four to be precise.
Just like I sold of my old Irvin - wanting to keep only one: The best repro ever made: The one from Aces High.
It was a sort of cool Zen/downscaling thing. :cool:

But I miss a A2 jacket now. Well - not for now, since it's bloody cold here in the freezing north and the Irvin gets a lot of use.
But one day spring will come - and then what? :eek:

Due to my handsome, petite body structure I need a size 50 - and I know AERO makes them in that size. But which model is the best/most accurate repro? (And please, please don't tell me of any other makers, who only goes to size 46/48...been there, done that.)
Thanks in advance.

Smithy

Hi mate, long time no see!

The Real Deal is a nice looking jacket if you want an Aero A-2 which is not stitch for stitch accurate but has a nice period look and feel.

Tim

flyboy said:
Hi gents
Half a year ago I went through my closet and got rid of all my A2's of different quality and from different makes. Four to be precise.
Just like I sold of my old Irvin - wanting to keep only one: The best repro ever made: The one from Aces High.
It was a sort of cool Zen/downscaling thing. :cool:

But I miss a A2 jacket now. Well - not for now, since it's bloody cold here in the freezing north and the Irvin gets a lot of use.
But one day spring will come - and then what? :eek:

Due to my handsome, petite body structure I need a size 50 - and I know AERO makes them in that size. But which model is the best/most accurate repro? (And please, please don't tell me of any other makers, who only goes to size 46/48...been there, done that.)
Thanks in advance.

flyboy

I have actually had my eyes on The Real Deal for quite some time.
Seal brown with dark berry was my first idea.

But I would very much like to hear from all you gents - especially if you own a AERO A2.

Otter

Good to hear from you again! :) I have two of the Aero A 2's. One Aces edition in seal brown with brown knits, smooth gigabits and the red silk lining. The other is one of the goatskin Indian made ones with red knits. Both are nice jackets but I usually end up wearing the goat. Sizing runs one size smaller than labelled except for the got, it is spot on to size. I used to own one of the earlier contract copies, I forget which now, it ran one size small but also had quite narrow shoulders which was why I sold it on. It was in the russet jerky horse and that was a very nice hide.

foster

I've owned two A-2 jackets made by Aero Scotland.
I like the Bronco, but it doesn't work well unless you are very slender. In a larger size I would not recommend it. I have heard the same for the 38-1711, it fits best if you're very thin.
I also have had their basic 15142 pattern. It was more comfortable but I didn't like the patterning as well as the Bronco. I can't say what would be the best one they offer, as the ones I owned were about equal with regard to authenticity and quality of construction.

coalman

Hi
Have thought exactly the same question many times myself Flyboy, however I think the jacket prices now from Aero are getting nearer to ELC prices.Have you asked Gary if he will make you a special sized jacket?

Mind you don't ask Aero for samples, I am still waiting 3 weeks for Irvin sheepskin samples!

Ian C

30 in back length?!

I'm 6ft 3in with a long back length and my A2's are 28in from the base of collar to the bottom of the waist knit. Has the previous owner been on the rack?

Ian

Dr H

You can just make out the faintly impressed leather strip...Guido Fawkes...mean anything? ;)

flyboy

coalman said:
Hi
Have thought exactly the same question many times myself Flyboy, however I think the jacket prices now from Aero are getting nearer to ELC prices.Have you asked Gary if he will make you a special sized jacket?

Mind you don't ask Aero for samples, I am still waiting 3 weeks for Irvin sheepskin samples!

I have mailed ELC once with that exact question, and got a negative reply. Have not asked Gary directly though. But I think the answere would be the same.

colekwok

From my experience with Aero patterns, it is really down to whether you have broad shoulder or not. If you have narrower shoulder in proportion to your torso, the earlier patterns such as the 38-, 40- or Bronco should look better since they are more tubular. That is why they always recommend these patterns to the Pacific-Asians. If you have broader shoulders (does not necessary mean you need to have V-shape body builder physique), the later 42 patterns would look better.

P.S. Eastman and other makers do not go up beyond 46-48 is probably because of the size of the hides that they use for the one piece construction of the A2s' back as I think most experts here would know already.

VanHook

I have had a real deal for a few years now, it's a great jacket but i find for me it is not all that comfortable to wear. I am 6' and 185 lbs. I wear a size 44, I have broad shoulders and a long torso. The jacket is a little tighter across the back than I would like it to be, and I wish it was just a tad longer. I have been thinking about trying to sell it, but I am reluctant to do so as I have collected a number of autographs on the lining. All that being said I would buy from Aero again, I would just try a different contract or size.

flyboy

Sounds like I should go up one size then, if I go for the Real Deal. (Which would be my choice - if I took the jump)

flyboy

OK - Real Deal it is! Just ordered one. Still a bit in doubt regarding size if they tend to be tight though. Will have a chat with them on that.
I know it's not stitch by stitch accurate but unlike my Irvin, I am OK with that. "This A2 is "only a leatherjacket to me. For the time when I can not wear my Aces High Irvi.n