• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which A2 fits me?

NoCypher

Hello Folks,

im Kevin from Germany, ive had ( and still have) a few Leather jackets in my life. im 33years old, i have a 101 cm / 40 inch chest and 98,5 /38,5inch waist, i weight a solid 88Kg / 194 pounds
im now looking for an A2...i have ordered 42, 40 and now 38 from Cockpit ( i know you guys dont seem to like that company, but im a newb )
42 was giantic and now i have 40 and 38 @ home, i hope someone can give me an idea if the fit is alright...my friends and family have mixed opinions about the fit....i showed it to anyone who would have a look.

i dont know which one to pick, 40 ist more comfortable but i think its a bit to much shoulders for me, 38 ist a bit tight in the back, otherwise fine its very soft leather ( goatskin i think ) i have no idea if it will stretch a bit more i think its possible

i do a bit of everything with my jackets, i drive a motorcycle from time to time and i do sometimes layer if its cold, but i still want a nice fit.

Anyways i would appreicate any help with the fit

or tipps for a better fitting one, this one is exported from usa and its is quite expensive in Germany ( 649 Euro )

Many Thanks, kind regards

Kevin

40 front
40 front.jpg

40 back
40 back.jpg

38 front
38 front.jpg

38 Back
38 back.jpg

38 hands up
38 hands up.jpg

Last edited:

Brettafett

Personally, I like the the look of the 38, but you have to wear it.

I had a horsehide Cockpit awhile back, size 36L. Also have a 40 chest, but 158
Also had a couple of orange label Cockpits years back, before the jacket bug bit.

I will also say, to confuse you more, if you can return these, rather look at an AVI Leather Bronco or a 5* Dubow.
Both goatskin, both pretty good copies of original WW2 jackets... Cheaper than a Cockpit and a hell of a lot more authentic in every way.

I have reviewed the AVI Bronco here somewhere... In Repros I think. Fantastic jacket.

Chandler

Honestly? And to my eye, they both look a little big on you -- which is weird because your measurements don't show you as a small guy for a 40 or 38.

I'm guessing Cockpit is making big, baggy jackets for something that's "in-style" these days.

Echoing @Brettafett -- look into Avi Leathers -- if you're looking for authentic fit, that is.

BTW -- when you purchase from Cockpit, are you buying from the U.S? The shipping has to be crazy, if you are.

2BM2K

If the 40 is more comfortable and the 38 is a little tight in the back then the 40 is the better size for you.

Also measure the jackets and record the details as this will be a useful reference for future jacket purchases.

NoCypher

Hello, thank you so much for the replies.

@Brettafett i think i will follow your advice and return both...it's just to much money for an not optimal fit. i have had a peek at the other jackets, both look quite good i think, price ist nearly half of the cockpit a2....good.... i forgot to mention something....i usually carry my portemonnaie ( wallet? ) in an inside pocket... i think the authentic Jackets dont have any inside pockets. I guess you have to die one death.

@Chandler i found an distributor for Cockpit Jackets in Germany.. i buy from them, so not directly from US, shipping is free. The only thing i pay is when i return something, because they have to be send with Insurance.

Chandler

...i usually carry my portemonnaie ( wallet? ) in an inside pocket... i think the authentic Jackets dont have any inside pockets. I guess you have to die one death.
Check Avi's AN-J Jacket -- cross between an A-2 and a G-1.

The only give will be button flap outer pockets, but you trade that for an inside pocket.

Brettafett

AVI's ANJ-3 is an excellent idea. I have one also, size 42 and it has an inside pocket as standard, more than large enough for a wallet or phone.
Same as the M-422A
Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 23.24.20.png
Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 23.24.36.png

Usually, I'd recommend going up a size from your chest, but you may want to order a 42 and a 44 to compare fit.
Returns are easy.

Platon's Dubow, if you can get one is also a superb call. Very authentic and well-made Dubow repro.

NoCypher

Hello Everyone,

thanks for all your help and ideas.

i plan to order Avi ANJ-3 Jackets... i think 40 and 42 would be a good starting point?

i will try to measure one of my old jackets and see what that tells me on the avi measurment scale.

NoCypher

Hello Everyone,

i have recieved 2 jackets from Avi leather Denmark, thanks again for the Advice!

here is how they look on me, what do you think ?

i think both fit quite good

Attachments

• 42 back with pullover.jpg
    42 back with pullover.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 42 back.jpg
    42 back.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 126
  • 42 front w pullover.jpg
    42 front w pullover.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 42 front.jpg
    42 front.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 44 back with pullover.jpg
    44 back with pullover.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 137
  • 44 back.jpg
    44 back.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 44 front with pullover.jpg
    44 front with pullover.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 44 front.jpg
    44 front.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 135

B-Man2

Is it just me … but the jackets look very close to about the same size . My suggestion would be to go with the 44 . Why ? Because over time the sleeves will crease up, the body panels with form to your body and look nicer and … let’s face it …. If you have the jacket for 10 years .. you will gain a few pounds and you’ll need an extra inch here and there .

Brettafett

Yes, the above comments are on the money. 44
It doesn't 'appear' that much bigger, but offers more jacket to wear in and will also allow you to layer.

How do they feel to you? Comparing the 42 and 44... Im curious.
Mine is a 42 and fits me very well, comfy with room to layer and Im 72/73kg - that alone tells me the 44

Wear in good health and dont be shy to post some pics as you wear it in.

NoCypher

i plan to lose weight not add any, but i guess you guys are right.
Both fit quite good, but the 44 has a tiny bit more room in the chest and if u move my arms around, shoulders are like 1cm longer, but look good.
i usually have a favorite jacket that i wear every day that it is possible to wear a jacket.

generally i would say that the sizes are way closer together in comparison to the other jackets i ordered ( A2 from Cockpit )

i will send back the 42 and keep the 44.

B-Man2

i plan to lose weight not add any, but i guess you guys are right.
Both fit quite good, but the 44 has a tiny bit more room in the chest and if u move my arms around, shoulders are like 1cm longer, but look good.
i usually have a favorite jacket that i wear every day that it is possible to wear a jacket.

generally i would say that the sizes are way closer together in comparison to the other jackets i ordered ( A2 from Cockpit )

i will send back the 42 and keep the 44.
Good choice on the size 44 …. While all of us have the best of intentions regarding dropping a few pounds, it always seems to be more difficult as the years go by. Good luck with your quest.

Smithy

Yup definitely the 44, even if you lose a few pounds it's always better to have a little room to move and even have room to layer with a thin jumper. Worse thing you can do is go for too tight on a flight jacket, not only is it uncomfortable but it just looks so, so wrong.

Get the 44 and you'll have no wucking furries!