• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where have all the purchases/reviews gone

Persimmon

It seems to me that the Forum is not as buoyant recently in terms of showing off new jacket purchases etc
I am not limiting myself to A2's here although that's my main interest

Have we all stopped buying ?

Have our Eastman and Aero purchases stopped and for some/many we have moved onto Goodwear.
Has Mr Chapman's slow down to a dead stop mean't that we all have nothing to show in terms of new projects ?

Is McCoys too far away and to expensive for some/many of us.

Are we buying from Platon. Where are the samples and the reviews if we are.

Are we buying/not buying Originals instead ?
Have we all bought up and am more reducing the "herd" rather than expanding

I guess I am saying guys are where are the reviews of new jackets, the temptation of a new kit that we have seen and know that we need to add that to our buying list.

Am I just crazy.
Shoot me down if I am wrong

Roughwear

Alan, I too have noticed that fewer reviews have been posted recently. All the reasons you mention are perhaps true. I think the economic recession could also have a role to play as people may be buying fewer new repro jackets. There seem to be fewer original A2s around at the moment if Ebay is anything to go by, and I have not bought a decent original A2 for months!

A

Anonymous

I sold one jacket to the US State Department recently and they found it excellent, but unfo they are not a member here so to write a review....

philip.ed

It's all about fashion, and when you join what is (pretty much) a 'fashion' forum, people tend to follow like a heard of sheep (hence why John Chapman could probable charge an extra hundred or so for his jackets, and it still wouldn't be detrimental to his business).
When you start reading about why your A-2 (which you previously loved) isn't as correct as it could be, then you automatically want an improvement; which as reviews go, only really leads to Goodwear...

If Eastman made a jacket tomorrow which was the 'be all to end all' of jackets, then I could see a similar migration take place.

Roughwear

Eastman have certainly raised their game. The new Italian horse hide they use on their RW, Monarch and Star contracts is excellent and on a par with the best hh used by John Chapman IMO. John's pigment hh is appropriate for later contracts, but does not have the same character of the new ELC warhorse IMO. ELC have also improved some but not all of the details on the aforementioned A2s. The recent increase in ELC prices may have deterred some here from purchasing a new A2. This is especially true for those living in the USA where the weaker dollar makes an ELC A2 very pricy. I am still waiting for someone to post a review of the new ELC Star, which appears to be a significant improvement on the older version.

Roughwear

I notice on the FL that the number on A2 reviews has also declined this year, with almost no reviews of original A2s or Irvins in recent weeks.

I'm expecting a size 44 GW Doniger to arrive in the next few weeks. It will be made from John's new Indian goatskin which he says is the closest to original goatskin as you can get these days. I will post some pics in due course. :)

nogbat

ime waiting on a bill kelsoe rw at the moment .looking forward to that ?? :( i have a new elc rw 1401 , nice fit good leather but not russet more of a dark brown ,nice jacket ... pictures will follow . hurry up platon..

Roughwear

Good for you! The new ELC RW 1401-P is made from superb, grainy hh and will break in very nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing some great photos and perhaps the jacket itself if you are Legends on the sunday! :)

nogbat

yes ime going to try and get ther , with my 1401.interested to see some forumite opinions as well :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

CBI

For me, I have found that with my limited schedule, its a bit time consuming to post with taking photos, uploading, etc. and frankly, the responses have not been that great. I am not expecting anything over the top but it sometimes seems not worth the trouble for a bunch of "hey, nice jackets".

Just my 2 cents (knowing that we need posters to make the site a success)

;)

Persimmon

CBI said:
For me, I have found that with my limited schedule, its a bit time consuming to post with taking photos, uploading, etc. and frankly, the responses have not been that great. I am not expecting anything over the top but it sometimes seems not worth the trouble for a bunch of "hey, nice jackets".

;)

John
I liked one of your jackets so much after its review and your treatment to it that I bought it !!

Guess what I am saying is that I appreciate that for some (probably many) that money is tight, supply can be limited at the moment (Goodwear) and a lot of members have probably more than enough jackets to go round.
After all we can only wear one at a time and often develop a favourite as well.

Still to make this site work we do need comments good or bad and reviews play a strong
part of that.
I want to see how the jackets are looking - I want to compare photographs (for example such as ) Peter's ELC Werber new and just out of the box and see it several months later looking completely different.
I want to see the new Italian leathered Eastman A2's in real life and not just lying flat on their web site. If you've got one I think your damn lucky so I would love to see and hear some thoughts.
I want to see JC's new Goat and the way it sits on the man.

So guys if you have got anything new - tempt us and let us enjoy your purchase.
Equally if its wrong let it be said and move it on.

I even miss the mystical land of the B3.B6.s Irvins or whatever they are called etc - not that I understand the "dark side" whatsoever but it is good to see them on the members.

Just a few comments to stimulate the forum and when I go to Flying Legends on the Sunday next month I look forward to seeing and talking jackets (just hope its not as sunny as last year or they won't stay on to long though !)

CBI

Alan - I was not complaining at all just explaining my lack of posts as of late. Yes, I think folks are buying less, prices are going up for repros and GW is on hold.

Roughwear

CBI said:

;)

John, I agree with you here. I have posted pics of some originals with so few responses that I do feel why bother! :roll: BTW the situation is even worse on the FL unless your post features a jacket made by a certain Scottish factory.

CBI

Yes, they are Aero Leather crazy on FL but I guess its not hurting anyone ....................

Andrew

I think its pretty normal that the site gets quieter around this time of year since most people are putting away their leather till September. Fortunately for me we've had a colder than usual May so i've been able to get some good wear (pardon the unintended pun) time as my window is normally pretty short. Hopefully i'll get around 2-3 months of A-2 weather.

Still it's a shame it has been a bit quiet as this place is the equivalent of my local pub...

dmar836

True, it is getting warmer around here. Seems many mention new arrivals but few share pics.

Personally, I sold two bicycles, sold an old "hobby" car, but picked up an airplane. Not sure how the monthy costs of that will shake out so the collection is currently on hold.

I do realize that this next year or so will be the heyday of buying originals. I truly believe the scammers will be out in force and willing to invest $1000 to make $500 by aging repros and selling as originals. Not to the seasoned but there are many newbs and "intermediate" collectors who are willing to take a chance on a good story. I'm probably at risk of falling into the latter group so the concept scares me a bit. If you think that's no issue, visit some other forums and look at some of the M-1 helmets being painted and aged. And some articles estimate 95+% of German helmets on the market are actually fakes in some way.

JMO,
Dave

Andrew

dmar836 said:
True, it is getting warmer around here. Seems many mention new arrivals but few share pics.

Personally, I sold two bicycles, sold an old "hobby" car, but picked up an airplane. Not sure how the monthy costs of that will shake out so the collection is currently on hold.

I do realize that this next year or so will be the heyday of buying originals. I truly believe the scammers will be out in force and willing to invest $1000 to make $500 by aging repros and selling as originals. Not to the seasoned but there are many newbs and "intermediate" collectors who are willing to take a chance on a good story. I'm probably at risk of falling into the latter group so the concept scares me a bit. If you think that's no issue, visit some other forums and look at some of the M-1 helmets being painted and aged. And some articles estimate 95+% of German helmets on the market are actually fakes in some way.

JMO,
Dave

....and not to mention the "R". We were aparently one of the few lucky developed economies that managed to technically avoid it although business is so slow you wouldn't know it.

I've also been thinking the same thing about the lack of interesting original WWII stuff that's on ebay these days. Aside for the odd gem, most of it seems to be left over utility gear, dull badges, buttons and patches, straps, and then a ton of re-prints of photos, repro uniforms etc etc. Just doing a local search in WWII militaria you'll see a ton of so called original WWII officer and NCO Katanas coming out of China. Boy, those guys must have left a ton of them there as they stormed through southward.

It's probably a good thing that my interest in this stuff is starting to cool off, but I am glad that I was lucky enough to pick up a couple of original jackets when I had some money.

CBI

my interest is still as strong as ever but I am pretty smitten with what I own so something needs to be really special for me to bite (or an amazing deal). Also, with jackets, I can only wear so many so for me its kind of a self limiting hobby.