• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favorite sheepskin jacket and why?

RMNZM445a_zps16b1a86a.jpg
Nuff said

foster

Vcruiser said:
B-6. Stylish and not so sweltering hot as heavier shearling like the B-3 and Irvin.
Van

I agree, the B-6 is my choice. Best pockets of any WWII sheepskin jacket in my opinion!

Skip

I have a thinner shearling M445 from RM which is versatile when out photographing in cold windy environs, it has pockets I can put filters, batteries etc in ready for action without having to rummage through my pack. By far the most comfortable is my Irvin. Wore it solid for 3 days in Canberra last Winter, its great sometimes not having to layer just wore it over my tshirt, put it on go outside, come inside take it off. Supremely comfortable. Wouldn't wear it photographing though, would tear it to pieces.

derleicaman

Definitely the D-1. Easiest to wear, very comfortable. Practical zippered pockets. Can move in it, not as heavy as the B-3. My ELC B-3 is heavy and I get too hot in it. Has to be at least below 20 degrees to wear it, but then you can go out with just a t-shirt on under it. The B-3 wears you out. Its still breaking in but I wonder how many years it will take. Arms and torso are constricting. Big fluffy collar, silly front single pocket, but it does look good on me. I appreciate the history and the craftsmanship is great, its just harder to live with. B-6 a good compromise but I sold mine. I have JCs prototype D-1 and a well worn RMNZ D-1 that I picked up from a fellow forum member. The RMNZ is like an old slipper. A bit beat, but comfy and it looks the part of a combat worn piece of gear. Don't have to be careful about where I wear it as it is so well worn. The GW is much more tailored and looks great. It looks newer and sharper that the RMNZ, so it works better when I want a warm jacket and I'm dressed a bit nicer. Just wish the fleece was a bit more golden in tone. I do love them both though! I keep thinking its silly to have 3 top level fleece jackets, but hey, you only live once!

Lately, I have been layering the D-1 over my A-2 in really cold weather. Also just acquired an ELC B-10 and this works great over the A-2, too. Plenty of room, no constriction with the A-2 underneath and plenty warm with the layering! Love the pockets and the mouton collar. Gusseted armpits work well over the A-2 and help the comfortable fit. I never saw the B-10 as particularly desirable, especially compared to my passion for the A-2. I am now a convert!

Jason

Irvin for me... it's simple styling & good looks, comfort and supreme warmth in below freezing temps with no more than a thin shirt on underneath endear it to me every time the outside air temperature plummets. Looking forward to making use of it this winter, if it gets cold enough (it wasn't last year). Though the B-6 looks very nice indeed, and is on the wish list.

flyboy

Why? The history!
And I am so happy to live in a country where the Irvin can be worn 5 - 6 months a year!

MikeyB-17

M-444. I like the look, the goatskin facings are thinner, more flexible and thus easier to wear than the horsehide facings on B-3's and the like, and it has two decent, usable pockets, plus storm cuffs. My W&G is made from rather heavier shearling than originals, but I like that. There's a reason I wanted one for years.

Silver Surfer

gotta say my elc b-3 redskin. mostly the reasons most guys dont. i wear it a lot in winter trading off with my elc perry redyed b-3]. especially this winter. the one right hand pocket is perfect for holing my keys, and my right paw when walking the mut early in the am. ya knw what i mean if ya have a dog, in that the proper way is to have them on leash using your felt hand. this has been a nasty winter around here, with more to come i have just read, the b-3 keeps me war as toast in the worst of it. btw: i had mine made with 1" added to the body and sleeves. no coll air blowing up my back, and no gap between the sleeve end and gloves. also, now that the jac has had the bejesus beat out of it, it is beginning to look and break in like a wwll original. they get pretty pliant with wear time.

ButteMT61

Lots of them "look" great to me. I've only ever owned myself a lesser B-3. But that said, given where I live, a D-1 (Dad wore in the USAF) would likely be the way to go.
That said, a "redskin" B-6 or M445 look very tasty. If I were in a cold(er) region, I'd certainly go for one.

oose

Hi,
Always fancied a B-2, I like this shot on ebay at the moment. However I think I like the look of the redskin B-6 best.

All the best
Stu

mindful

My ELC D1 is my first sheep skin jacket and i love it is my main winter jacket and its bullet proof i love the style it is very light weight and roomy which makes it flexible and comfortable. ;)

Tim P

The B6 has the best collar size, pockets and comfort cut. whatever the bulkier jackets offer the high altitude flyer, the jackets performance at ground level counts today for most of us and in that sense the B6 wins the day. the D1 similarly so.
I may get another b6 at some point.
the collars on other jackets are too big to look sensible in day wear in my opinion...each to their own

FlyingYankee

Well I guess the B-2 is not a true sheepskin jacket in the sense that a B-3 or D-1 is. Does anyone know why the AAF went from the B-2 to the B-3?

Tim P

Often it is a question of cost measured against value. If the same result can be achieved cheaply then an over engineered item loses its place.