• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the truth about Schott?

Roughwear

There is a guy on Ebay who insists his Schott jacket dates from WW11, when in fact its post war. I have read that Schott was founded in 1913 and the official Schott website says they supplied the US military in WW11. I have never seen a jacket from that time with Schott marked on the spec label. Does anyone know what is fact and what is fiction where this maker is concerned? Here's the link to their "official" history:-http://www.schottnyc.com/about.cfm

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
Here's the link to their "official" history: http://www.schottnyc.com/about.cfm

But as the country and the world turned its attention overseas, so did Schott. Commissioned by the US Army Air Corps at the start of WWII, Irving Schott designed and produced a "bomber jacket" that would serve and protect Our Boys as they fought for liberty in the air over Europe and the Pacific. And on deck, servicemen kept out the cold with Schott's classic melton wool naval pea coat. Rugged and warm, these leather and wool jackets would be produced by Schott for the US Military for the next 60 years.

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Roughwear said:
Here's the link to their "official" history: http://www.schottnyc.com/about.cfm

But as the country and the world turned its attention overseas, so did Schott. Commissioned by the US Army Air Corps at the start of WWII, Irving Schott designed and produced a "bomber jacket" that would serve and protect Our Boys as they fought for liberty in the air over Europe and the Pacific. And on deck, servicemen kept out the cold with Schott's classic melton wool naval pea coat. Rugged and warm, these leather and wool jackets would be produced by Schott for the US Military for the next 60 years.

David I read this too, but it is vague and may not be all true. What I really want to know does anyone have proof they produced jackets in the war and if so information on type, contracts, spec label etc.. I have never seen a WW2 jacket by this company, but they could have been a no-name maker or gone under a different name then?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
David I read this too, but it is vague and may not be all true.

It's certainly vague ... I was highlighting their claim that they'd produced for the military for 60 years, as we know that's not true.

In the Schott forum, someone asked twice what years they had produced the peacoat for the Navy. This was the second reply .....

I do not have the actual years we did a military contract for the peacoat. In the past few years we have done the military leather Naval G-1 flight jackets, but not the peacoat. To the best of of my knowledge since WWII when we started making the Naval peacoat the spec was 32 oz. Melton, we continue to use the same spec in the peacoats we produce today.

The 32 oz. weight represents per yard, depending on the jacket size, the average jacket takes approximately 2-1/4 yds of wool, which would be about 4-1/2 lbs.

Gail

A

Anonymous

What are they taling about here? Commissioned by the US Army Air Corps at the start of WWII, Irving Schott designed and produced a "bomber jacket" that would serve and protect Our Boys as they fought for liberty in the air over Europe and the Pacific.

zoomer

Public relations. The real dope was probably classified during the war, and afterwards, a family secret to be used however they saw fit. This is, as we all know, a cagey, family-oriented business.

This sentence in particular is almost "lawyerly" vague:
Commissioned by the US Army Air Corps at the start of WWII, Irving Schott designed and produced a "bomber jacket" that would serve and protect Our Boys as they fought for liberty in the air over Europe and the Pacific

Schott Bros. the company might have been "commissioned," or Irving himself might have been, as in he, personally, being an officer with Materiel Command. If the latter, he might have done the design but not the production.

Sertsa

This is just speculation, but my first reaction to that--based on dealing with a lot of business speak--is that they may have designed a jacket, but it was not selected. And, while I'm not sure of Schott's case, many companies tend to use simple things in greater contexts; like, say, if someone in the military buys a peacoat, even private purchase, to get something maybe a little different, and it falls within uniform guidelines, then they've supplied the military. But again, that's just a guess.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
I really want to know does anyone have proof they produced jackets in the war and if so information on type, contracts, spec label etc.. I have never seen a WW2 jacket by this company, but they could have been a no-name maker or gone under a different name then?

I looked through more of their forum. I don't think that they were a no-name maker, as they explain, in the answer to one question, how all issued jackets have tags, with contract numbers, and maker's name.

They admit to supplying peacoats during WW11, and to several G-1 contracts in the 1990's. Apart from that they just won't be pinned down, either claiming to have lost the records .... or more vagueness.

example:

how many years schott produce the original A2 jacket? when did you have contract with army?
i heard the army stop purchasse A2 at the end of the war. the A2 come back in the army many years later. in 1975? what do you think of that?

The A-2 was first introduced into service in 1931, and was officially replaced 12 years later by the AN-J-3, a jacket very similar to the G-1, but without the fur collar. It is very interesting that the US Goverment is currently soliciting bids for a new round of A-2 purchases.

Jason Schott, 2006.