• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is it about Bronco A2s?

Roughwear

I have noticed that often when a Bronco is advertised on Ebay is generally ends up going for a higher price than many other makes of originals. What is it about the jacket that makes it so attractive to people? Is it the name Bronco or the design of the jacket itself with the bevelled pockets and sharp fit? What do you think?

Here's one that has rapidly taken off with fierce bidding already.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-WWII-A-2 ... 3a54126040

Robman

I remember attending an airshow with a stand of original A2s. I struck up a conversation with the gentlemen behind the stand and they both indicated they wanted Broncos. Their reasoning was they preferred the fit as it's apparently longer in the body and looked more contempoary when worn......again their opinion not mine.

jack aranda

Hi, Roughwear:
I looked at the jacket and I noticed that the pocket flaps are asymmetrical: the scallop of the pocket flap is notched higher on the zipper side of the snap than on the outboard side. Both pockets. Is this a peculiarity of this particular jacket, a one-off? Were there batches of Broncos made deliberately with asymmetric pocket flaps? It is a very elegant little touch, quite distinctive. If I was going to order a new Bronco made (I'm not!), I'd insist on this detail.

Jason

I can't say why, but I've observed the very same thing right from the beginning of my interest in flying jackets as well.

Hawkeye

Could it be the name itself, rather than any styling on the part of the jacket? The A-2 is considered a major piece of Americana in itself, while the "Bronco" name, to me anyways, seems more "American" than the names of other manufacturers like Star Sportswear, Doniger and Perry, with possibly only RoughWear as an exception. To me the name Bronco brings up images of horses, the wild west and early America. If others feel the same way, perhaps its the heavily American name, combined with a jacket that is universally recognized as an American symbol, that creates a much sought after ultimate symbol of Americana for collectors. But thats just my theory.

Roughwear

I have long tried to get hold of a decent size 42 or 44 Bronco horse hide, but the final price is usually more than I'm prepared to pay. I'm not that desperate to own one as I have a very nice original United Sheeplined, which, apart from the shoulder seams being centred under the epaulets, is essentially the same as the Bronco.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Hawkeye said:
Could it be the name itself ....

I think so, for all the reasons that Hawkeye gives, and that it's so easy to remember.

This reminds me of the eBay seller offering an A-2 ... although unlabelled he stated that he'd done all the research, compared the details, and it was definately an original Aero Bronco.

khiattP-51

I've often admitted that Bronco followed by Rough Wear were probably my two favorite A-2 designs. For me, It started off that I liked the noticeably different aesthetics of the collar, beveled pocket corners, sharp scalloped flaps and the Crown Zipper. I also liked that it was made in NYC and the name itself. Then, when I was lucky enough to obtain an original, I loved how it fit. The shoulders are square, the sleeves trim and the body is cut just right. It simply has the stereotyped, suit-like 'A-2 look' that my mind had conjured up!

Best,
-Kevin