What got you interested in A2 type Jackets

Discussion in 'General Flight Jacket Discussion' started by Bombing IP, Mar 19, 2017.

1. chamboid

chamboid Member

It's s utilitarian design classic, where style of the age meets design specs. Pocket design, collar shape and hide colour is always different. I got into A-2's from chancing upon a vintage G-1 in a vintage store in Brighton and being fascinated with the construction. The navy jacket is still my favourite, with more design and colour uniformity, but with subtle differences to catch the eye, the A-2 is the jacket that has become iconic. The simplicity and sheer style of something which has one purpose, as a uniform leather windcheater but the abundance of personalised artwork, attached stories and adventures which spans a vast period of time and history and historical interest which no other jacket quite does in the same way.

PeterO and Bombing IP like this.
  2. thekiyote

thekiyote New Member

A couple of things, the first is that when I was in middle/high school, my dad had an old civilian A-2 from the 80s that I would steal and wear. It was the first leather jacket that I wore, and still a style I like.

The second is that I kind of came into the Americana style through a very roundabout way. I studied Japanese in college, and lived there for a while. I eventually got into the Japanese Americana style, with their attention to detail, via raw denim, and when I started looking for a leather jacket, I found they were already in the space. I also knew about Buzz Rickson through William Gibson, but only started connecting them with the A-2 design around this time.

It's funny, I never owned a Japanese A-2, but that's what started me down the rabbit hole of learning about them.

3. falcon_ib

falcon_ib Member

I've been very interested in WW2 aviation for almost a decade but never forayed into the flight jacket world until recently.
    If they were still in shape, many WW2 vets I would meet would be wearing an A-2. The jacket is tied very closely to their identity, and the patches and artwork tell their story. Holding a jacket that endured dozens of missions over enemy territory is amazing, as is meeting the person that wore it. I find that representation of their identity to be really interesting, but also you can't beat the timeless style and looks!

Evan

4. 2jakes

2jakes Member

[​IMG]
    Flying Tigers

Smithy likes this.
  5. Smithy

Smithy Active Member

That's such an iconic image, never get tired of seeing it.

2jakes likes this.
  6. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

There is only one A2 in the picture, the rest are M422/422a's..............But, the A2 does stand out.

7. 2jakes

2jakes Member

Regardless of whether there was only one A2 or a hundred....
    it was the spirit of these “cowboys of the sky” that first captivated my interest.
    The leather jacket cemented that feeling forever. ;)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Smithy likes this.
  8. better duck

better duck Active Member

Same with me; I built my first plastic model airplanes when living in Brazil, near Rio de Janeiro, back in 1967- 1970. The very first one was - if I remember correctly - a Revell Focke Wulf 200, a B17E came next. Then reading about WW2, picking up an avid interest in the air warfare of the period in general, that slowly focused on the Eight Air Force. I bought my first A2 from Gary Eastman in 1990, having seen an ad in FlyPast Magazine, and was surprised they were brown: until then I had only seen b/w photos and thought they were black :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  9. Marv

Marv Active Member

Got into A2's around 2005 after progressing on from my Indy jacket.

My first A2 was a Cooper which I had ELC patch to which I then progressed onto an Eastman house A2 and then onto an ELC Star, RW 27752, Pearl Harbor then moved onto Goodwear with a RW 27752 and Dubow 20960.

My Cooper -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smithy likes this.