WEP Flight Jacket Pics '72 Kings Point MFG Co

Discussion in 'Nylon' started by bn1966, Apr 18, 2015.

1. bn1966

bn1966 Member

2. Rutger

Rutger Active Member

Ah yes, the WEP jacket, isn't it designed as part of an ensemble with trousers attached to it? That'd explain the shortness.
    Considered it quite a few times because it looks like a nice enough and practical jacket, but being so short in the back I'd constantly feel the need to pull it down (like some AF nylon jackets I have).

3. watchmanjimg

watchmanjimg Active Member

Rutger, this is entirely correct and though these were worn by Naval aviators as outer garments achieving a conventional fit can be challenging. I've long since given up the idea of wearing one, but Gibson and Barnes offers a modern version that may be cut longer in the body.

4. bebel

bebel Member

5. bn1966

bn1966 Member

Thanks Franck, really enjoyed the thread & photos :D

6. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

I have owned 6 original WEPs over the years. They are my favorite nylon flight jackets except for the fact they they are almost impractically short wasted. Even when I went up a size larger than my normal size AND "long" - still too short. Soooooooo, I recently ordered and Gibson and Barnes repro WEP in a "long" size. It should arrive in August! That's quite a wait! I plan on tweaking the jacket a bit to get it to fit, have the correct "look".

7. bebel

bebel Member

Oh yes! The WEP jacket is not easy to well worn due to his short waist!

Franck

8. Peter Graham

Peter Graham Well-Known Member

A WEP is one jacket I've never owned but being rather short in stature myself, it might just work. I'll keep a look out for one.