• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Waltham A-8 pocket watch

Phantomfixer

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

I picked this up awhile ago at a flea market. It winds up nicely and runs fine. It does not reset to the 10 position (top dead center). Looks like new hands or recoated hands would be in order. The crystal is yellowish, but not bad.

What was it used for? Navigation?

John

archbury918

John, the A-8 was used to measure ground speed for both navigation and the timing after releasing bombs over target.
There were a number of makers at the time including Elgin and Hamilton.

Its nice to find these timepieces and it shows the value of the jewel timing used in them.
One thing I urge you to address as soon as possible! That "yellowing" you noted is due to the composition of the original crystal of the stopwatch. Acetone was used back then and its going to breakdown and ruin your watch!

You already have the first stages of the deterioration from the corrosion of the hands. The fact that the watch is sealed tight only increases the process.
Take the watch to a competent watchmaker and have him replace the crystal as soon as you can. He may even be able to repair/replace the hands. Hopefully with a good cleaning and inspection this watch will be able to be passed down to your grandchildren.

Michael

Hamsterbear

The A-8 was nicknamed "jitterbug" because of the sound it made while running. They were used by bombardier's for timing bomb releases..and ground speed checks.
The graduations are 1 second, with one revolution of the hand being 10 seconds, 6 equals one minute on the smaller dial and it will time up to 5 min. total.on the inner scale, 10 total min. on the outer scale.
I was lucky enough to find a brand new one in the original box, including the little canvas pouch as well.
I have no idea what a collector would pay, but it doesn't matter I'm keeping it.
here are the pictures:
IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

Was made in 1943, markings on back of case are new, unworn, but won't photograph because the case is so shiny.
-Brian

Phantomfixer

awesome find. still in the box....Those are the best finds. I have been using it as a stop watch. I imagine a trip to the jeweler will be in order for a new crystal and hands. Maybe get it to reset correctly too.

archbury918

Yes, do have that plexi crystal replaced. I had them return the original for historical sake.
You may well find that there are minute particles obstructing the reset and should be no trouble to have working again.