• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Rough Wear 1401-P Jacket

WBOONE

Greetings! My first post. I have been a long time lurker here and at the fedora lounge. Lots of great info on Leather jackets. I live very close to a Air Force Museum here in Georgia that has about a dozen or so Original A2's and some B-3 jackets on display==love looking at all that jacket art. I own a Cooper seal brown goat skin size 46 A2 thats a pretty nice jacket for everyday use, and also a second hand Goodwear russet brown rough wear 1401-p contract jacket that is excellent. I do have a question--It has been kind of a dream, like a lot of people on here, to own a original WW2 issued A2 jacket. Most i see sell for $1200 and on up depending on condition. I just bid on, and won to my suprise, a original Rough Wear 1401-P A2 in pretty nice condition. Linning looks very good, no rips tears in the leather,knits look good, original tag, faded AAF emblem on sleeve, and original name tag that is unattached. I got it for only $530. Am i missing something? Any ideas on why it might have sold this "cheap" compared to others i have seen in same condition sell for quite more$$? It should be here in a couple of days. Thanks, Joe B

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum Joe. Congratulations on your RW 1401-P. If you could post some pictures of the A2 or the link to the auction we may be able to give you some clues why you got it for a very fair price.

Roughwear

The label is most certainly an early ELC one as the size of the letters are not quite correct. The zip is clearly a replacement as are the wristlets. The pockets are placed further from the waistband than on originals-a typical Eastman feature. The leather appears too thick to be an original from the 1401-P contract and the stitching along the lining to the collar stand is not correct. I can see how this jacket could easily be mistaken for an original with the distressed decal/chest patch and removed name strip. Nevertheless the price paid is still fair for a well used ELC 1401-P.

WBOONE

thanks for the info Andrew--i love seeing your originals pics-- when i receive it i will decide what to do on keeping it or trying for a refund. The seller may not even be aware of it. Joe B

RayR

Roughwear said:
The label is most certainly an early ELC one as the size of the letters are not quite correct. The zip is clearly a replacement as are the wristlets. The pockets are placed further from the waistband than on originals-a typical Eastman feature. The leather appears too thick to be an original from the 1401-P contract and the stitching along the lining to the collar stand is not correct. I can see how this jacket could easily be mistaken for an original with the distressed decal/chest patch and removed name strip. Nevertheless the price paid is still fair for a well used ELC 1401-P.

Fascinating info, Andrew! Please see the PM I sent regarding a similar question. :)

WBOONE

Update--I have received the jacket and while i do believe it is a early ELC it is actually a nice jacket. The seller has agreed to do a refund if i wish so as to prevent me from opening a case on ebay. He did state that he stills believes it to be a original but a examination of the tag on it with some close-up shots of original tags on the Acme Depot website do show a difference. I haven't given up my dream of owning a original Rough Wear...maybe one day. Thanks for those that sent me a PM with good info.

dmar836

Be confident. To someone who hasn't studied these, the seller would think the pocket location is no big deal. It is.
Don't hesitate to PM members for info on a for sale RW in the future.
Dave

Members online

Latest posts