• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage N1 Jacket

Hello all,

I've seen this N1 Jacket in a shop near me. Advertised as 1960s. It's going for a bit more than I'd like to pay but wanted to see if it was worth haggling. I could only get a couple of quick photos. What do people think? Is it what they say it is?

Thanks.

Carl

B-Man2

Tell us what they’re asking for the coat. If the price is right, it might be a reasonable deal. As stated above it’s a commercial model of a USN. N1 deck jacket and there are a couple of good reproductions of that jacket being made by companies in China, priced in the $175.00- 200.00 price ranges . As Jeff ( Bombing IP) advised Bronson is definitely one of them along with a company with a cute little name of Bob Dong :) I Kidd you not.

MikeyB-17

Hard to tell, but it looks like a nice jacket, issued or otherwise. If the price is right I'd say go for it. I believe Golden Fleece is a fairly reputable maker.

taiAtari

Golden Fleece is Spiewak. The label mentions zip codes, so it's from after their introduction in '63. The label looks vintage, but Spiewak has been using something similar recently. But you'd probably have some more labels if it was recent. Could well be a late '60s to '80s jacket. If it's worth its price, is up to you. Seems a decent civilian N1 inspired jacket, but there's tons of those around and you can probably get one for less. The zipper might help in dating it further.

Thomas Koehle

Golden Fleece is Spiewak. The label mentions zip codes, so it's from after their introduction in '63. The label looks vintage, but Spiewak has been using something similar recently. But you'd probably have some more labels if it was recent. Could well be a late '60s to '80s jacket. If it's worth its price, is up to you. Seems a decent civilian N1 inspired jacket, but there's tons of those around and you can probably get one for less. The zipper might help in dating it further.

Yeah!

Didn’t read your post before ...

I used to own a SPIEWAK N1 lookalike in a huge size - material looked more like corduroy but was otherwise of decent quality

You still get them on EBay reasonable priced so if you think the jacket is too expensive do some more research and you’ll find another one

Many thanks for all your replies. I was aware it was a civilian jacket and it is interesting to hear about the potential age. To be honest I think it might be slightly more recent than it looks. It may also be an unworn second I think. There are some slight issues with the stitching on the shoulders, not a repair and only minor but I don't think it would have sold like that and it looks old but not worn if you know what I mean.

Price is £155 but I may be able to get it reduced a bit i think.

Geeboo

It is inferior to Bronson N1 in terms of periodic accuracy [not very accurate but ok], material and craftsmanship by quite a lot, IMO

Thanks again for your replies. I will definitely be looking at a Bronson.

The guy in the shop mentioned they had another downstairs if I wanted to look at it. Thought I'd post some pics of it for interest. Too much for me at £275 but really interesting. Says 60s on the label but I thought it might be earlier?

jack31916

The artwork on this jacket was done by a group of re-enactors ( from the Midlands ) in the early 80's when they had a very nice display at the Stoneleigh event. The whole group used these jackets in 1989 during the 45th D-day Anniversary. I think I know the artist as well ;). So no WW2, Korea, Vietnam or other theater of war

The artwork on this jacket was done by a group of re-enactors ( from the Midlands ) in the early 80's when they had a very nice display at the Stoneleigh event. The whole group used these jackets in 1989 during the 45th D-day Anniversary. I think I know the artist as well ;). So no WW2, Korea, Vietnam or other theater of war

Hi, thanks for the reply. I had a nagging feeling I had seen the design before and now I'm sure I've either seen another one of these jackets or pictures of the re-enactors.