• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Flight Jacket For Under A Dollar

Atticus

Every now and then, even a blind hog finds an acorn.

Last week I saw this old CWU-45P badly listed on e-bay. I decided not to even waste a snipe on it. I just put a ten dollar bid on it out in the wide open. I ended up being the only person interested and won it for 99 cents plus shipping.

It arrived today, and it is one of the older CWUs with the pleated back. The tag is missing and the cuffs are in marginal condition but it is undoubtedly the real deal from the seventies.

By the way, it has a Serval zipper. Could this be a clue as to manufacturer and date of issue?

Here's a photo from the auction.

fa3d_1.jpg

AF

MikeyB-17

Nice find, Geoff. I got my pleated back CWU-45/P in a similar fashion, poor listing and no other interest-I didn't do as well as you-think I paid about $24. I can't claim to be an expert here, just a casual glance at 'Suit Up!', but does it have the little signal pocket inside? That was deleted in 1977. Is the top of the windflap straight or cut at an angle? The cut was done in 1980, and the pleated back went in 1982. No info re the zip I'm afraid. Where can you get Nomex cuffs from?

watchmanjimg

Geoff:

Nice find! I just looked at my early CWU-45s and here's what I found:

1st-pattern (1975): Serval zipper, bi-swing back, square flap, Velcro-secured inner pocket

2nd-pattern (date illegible, but apparently 1980-82 according to Mikey): Scovill zipper, bi-swing back, round flap, no inner pocket

Based on the foregoing, your jacket appears to be of the original first pattern.

Regarding the cuffs, I have an entire bag full of synthetic Alpha replacements. PM me and we'll work out the details.

Jim

Atticus

Hi Mikey and Jim,

It sure sounds like this is a first pattern. It has two male velcro strips inside the lower left front of the jacket where the inner pocket was. It has a Serval zip and a square-topped windflap.

Although the tag is missing, it must be an extra large. It is more snug on me than is my 1992 CWU-45P, but I'm in the midst of a fat phase right now. It still fits, although not a loosely as I would like.

As is evident from the shape of the patch recievers, this is an Air Force jacket. There is evidence of rank insignia on the shoulders. I can see stitch marks for both Lt. bars and some higher, square-shaped rank.

I would love to know what stories this old jacket could tell. I'm still pissing myself that I managed to score it for such a reasonable price!

Jim, thanks for the offer as to the cuffs. I'll PM you.

AF