• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VINTAGE EASTMAN B-3-Zipper replacement

Roughwear

I recently bought an early Eastman B-3 in a size 44. I suspect it dates from the 1980s and I'm sure John Lever will be able to tell me exactly when it was made! It is made of sheepskin with great character, sadly not found on the current ones I have seen. Unfortunately the repro zipper was secured with two leather seam tapes, which is annoyed me as this was not how zips were installed on originals. So today I removed the repro Talon zip along with the seam tapes and replaced it with a NOS Talon from MASH Japan. Here are the before and after pictures. I have also slightly customised the ends of the collar straps! This early jacket appears to have been based on a H. Bernstein B-3 which Gary photographed for his Golden Book.

Before:-

002-1.jpg

After:-

004-1.jpg

John Lever

Nice job Andrew. It's a Merino jacket [ curly wool]from 20 odd years ago, very nice. I used to own one just like it.

MikeyB-17

When I bought my A-2 from ELC in 1997, their catalogue of the time, pre-Golden Book, offered the option of exposed zip tape on the B-3 as per spec, or leather facings on the zip 'for improved appearance', which always struck me as strange when they were trumpeting about the ultimate in authenticity, then offering a completely non-authentic option. Nice jacket and nice job, Andrew. I want another B-3!