• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage "Conmar" zipper

1911A1US

These are tough times we are in now,I just watched a Conmar zipper go off at 156.50 on ebay! Yikes,some have it to Pee away on zippers?OUCH.

watchmanjimg

I wouldn't spend that much, but sometimes a zipper is the only thing standing in the way of a great restoration job. I'm still debating my strategy for replacing the zipper on an L-2A, and the least expensive option I've found thus far is over $50. They're not cheap!

Dr H

Gentlemen
I can't comment on their suitability for Nylon as I know little about these jackets (although plenty about the chemistry of the polymer... :geek: ).
However, John Chapman lists the prices of his vintage WWII NOS zippers as Talons: $60.00 each, Conmars (if available): $150.00 each and Crown Zippers (if available again): $200.00 each.

watchmanjimg

Ouch! I suppose the Ebay offering sold at market price after all. Perhaps Dr. H. can use his scientific knowledge to make up a few in the labORatory . . . :twisted:

jacketimp

Dr H said:
Gentlemen
I can't comment on their suitability for Nylon as I know little about these jackets (although plenty about the chemistry of the polymer... :geek: ).
However, John Chapman lists the prices of his vintage WWII NOS zippers as Talons: $60.00 each, Conmars (if available): $150.00 each and Crown Zippers (if available again): $200.00 each.

dr h,

i thank you for being so meticulous......

mr h...yde

Dr H

:lol:
Sadly, need someone with more practical metallurgical/casting knowledge for the zipper than a humble polymer chemist can offer...
Although the nylon would be so much easier to make ;)

Hawkeye

damn, there was on motorcycle jacket on ebay last wekk with a beautiful conmar zipper that went for a really low price, should have bought for just the zip, as the jacket was nothing special...

jacketimp

Hawkeye said:
damn, there was on motorcycle jacket on ebay last wekk with a beautiful conmar zipper that went for a really low price, should have bought for just the zip, as the jacket was nothing special...

u snooze u lose

Peter Graham

I've seen them go for more than that. I'm looking for one myself but I can't justify that sort of money. I doubt that prices will fall though.