• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very well preserved no name 27753 A2 size 44

Roughwear

I must have owned at least 8 jackets from Cable Raincoat's 27753 contract over the years and have seen many more, but I have never had one in such well preserved condition. This size 44 is all original-apart from the leather zip puller! ;) The pattern is one of most comfortable fitting of all the A2s in my collection, with large arm holes, wide sleeves arms, and a roomy body. I think it always looks smart when worn.

The thickness of the horsehide used by Cable Raincoat varied quite a lot. This jacket is made of thick, buttery russet hh, which has been conditioned with a light coat of Pecards. The mustard lining has almost no wear. Cable sometimes used Rau Fastener snaps, but this one has United Carr snaps. Most jackets from this contract had Conmar zippers which this one has. The mid brown knits show little wartime wear only some light moth damage which has been repaired.

This jacket was passed by an inspector in 1942 as fit for the USAAF, but would have been classified as a "second" today! The box stitching on the epaulets is much longer on the left shoulder than on the right and the front panels are unaligned. These imperfections just add to the character of the jacket IMO.

033.jpg

038.jpg

036.jpg

043.jpg

040.jpg

045.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

037.jpg

044.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

057.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

061.jpg

Roughwear

I have been after a really decent, plain size 44 from this contract for the last 8 years so yes it's a keeper! :)

Phantomfixer

Wow..this A-2 looks to have a nice thick hide to it, tons of grain. Great score was this a local purchase or internet? none of my business just curious..
Awesome jacket Andrew

Roughwear

jzist said:
Wow..this A-2 looks to have a nice thick hide to it, tons of grain. Great score was this a local purchase or internet? none of my business just curious..
Awesome jacket Andrew

It was bought from the USA via Ebay. Yes the hh is thick and supple.

stevetfire

wow that's a beauty Andrew ;) and what Incredible condition you must have been very pleased, Did it exceed your expectations :?:

Roughwear

I knew from the auction pics it would be in this excellent condition, but what has exceeded expectations is the thickness and suppleness of the leather.

stevetfire

Roughwear said:
I knew from the auction pics it would be in this excellent condition, but what has exceeded expectations is the thickness and suppleness of the leather.
It's got a good new home :)

Beautiful jacket...thanks for taking the time to post so many pics...much appreciated. Congrats on the aquisition...the condition, fit, grain, everything = superb!

saunders

Another champion stallion in your stable - well done, sir! According to what Charles at HPA told me, this was a contract of 50, 000, and that's in the top 3 best I've ever seen of this contract.

Saunders

A

Anonymous

Very nice indeed. Nice pattern and fits you better than others.
is it the same that general MacArthur wore? (apart from his RW?)

which is the most well preserved original A-2 in your collection?

Roughwear

It is my Star Sportswear A2, which is 100 percent perfect, with no moth damage or wear.
This was Cable's largest contract and 50,000 would also be my estimate of the size, which was the same as the last Aero contract.

saunders

Roughwear said:
It is my Star Sportswear A2, which is 100 percent perfect, with no moth damage or wear.

Your Star sounds like a friends Aero 16160, except this Aero is the most amazing CBI-decorated A-2 I've ever seen. How and where did you find the Star? Does it have the contract or PO number on the label? Have you posted photos here in the past? Is it a size 44?

This was Cable's largest contract and 50,000 would also be my estimate of the size, which was the same as the last Aero contract.

And the same size as Aero 15142, Bronco 29191, Dubow 27798, and Poughkeepsie, from what I'm told. I kinda also recall that Perry 16175 falls into this production quantity, but my memory of the conversation I had with Charles DiSipio is now not as strong as I wish it was. Anyway, considering the size of these contracts, it's not really surprising that there is a reasonable number of A-2s extant in stunning condition. There's another interesting question at hand: Once the production figures become widely available, will even the premier A-2s of these contracts hold their value, and will the A-2s of rare contracts in equal condition increase in value? If A-2s follow the pattern of other collectibles (firearms, edged weapons, helmets, autos, coins, etc., then once any given A-2 can be precisely pinpointed to a specific degree of comparative rarity to another, the answer is, maybe, to the first questions, and yes, to the second. I think that the ready availability of production numbers (and dates, to a lesser degree), will have an impact on A-2 collecting. So, instead of the two primary points of valuation (condition and history), we'll also have contract rarity.

Was this 27752 the most costly of all A-2s you own? Based solely on the photos you have kindly shared with us, I'd value your RW 16159 the most highly, which is based on condition, 14th AF insignia, and contract rarity. Anyone who knows A-2s well would also value your Star highly from how you've described it, but your 16159 is really special.

Is your RW 16159 ID'd to anyone?