• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very cool Nam era nylon spotted on ebay

oose

Hi Peter
I think its one of these reversible test pilot jackets, can't believe I missed it I've been waiting years for one to come along. I just wan't a plain one anyone! :roll: anyone!! sob sob

All the best
stu

Peter Graham

Really sorry Stu. I didn't want to flag it up until after the auction ended. It always annoys me if I'm watching something and someone unwittingly draws attention to it, but maybe I'm easily annoyed. :) . Jim, can you provide some more info ? Is the jacket L-2B weight or heavier and are there pockets on the green side too ? Also, what brand are the zippers ? Cheers.

oose

Hi Peter,
I agree with you, I don't often flag up stuff here unless it has a buy me now or its has plenty of bids from the big guns already. It was a US only listing anyhow, not bitter at all! I want a nice plain example, ...one day! To be honest my jacket fund is a little limited until November (freelance), It would mean a few jackets going the other way to fund anything and then its Christmas and with two youngsters who seem to want every plastic battery operated gizmo going I fear funds will be limited until next year!!

All the best
stu

Dr H

Peter Graham said:
Really sorry Stu. I didn't want to flag it up until after the auction ended. It always annoys me if I'm watching something and someone unwittingly draws attention to it.

Go on, make me feel bad :oops:
;)

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
Jim, can you provide some more info ? Is the jacket L-2B weight or heavier and are there pockets on the green side too ? Also, what brand are the zippers ? Cheers.

Peter, the jacket is lighter than an L-2B and made from the same poplin fabric as K-2B flight suits. It's merely a layer of sage on one side, orange on the other. There are pockets on both sides. I believe the main zipper is a brass Conmar and I'm pretty sure the pocket zips on the green side are Conmar also, but I think the zips on the orange side are Talons. I'll pull the jacket out later and maybe post some pics.

watchmanjimg

Here are some pictures of my example, which is marked Large Regular on the barely-visible white tag below the manufacturer's label. While roomy enough in the upper body, at 23.5 inches from collar seam to bottom of waistband this jacket is VERY short-waisted and would be difficult to wear over anything but a one-piece coverall. I was mistaken in my earlier post regarding the pocket zippers on the orange side--as it happens they're Conmars after all. Enjoy!

TestPilotJacket001_zpsb92b682b.jpg
TestPilotJacket012_zps3248f6b0.jpg
TestPilotJacket003_zps88cbe5b9.jpg
TestPilotJacket002_zps206d3665.jpg
TestPilotJacket004_zps700fa056.jpg
TestPilotJacket008_zpsa8f7051d.jpg
TestPilotJacket009_zps481d9cb7.jpg
TestPilotJacket010_zps9c6226ee.jpg
TestPilotJacket011_zpsf9e300cd.jpg
TestPilotJacket005_zps33333bae.jpg

oose

Hi Jim,
Thanks for taking time to post some detailed shots, very informative.

All the best
stu

Peter Graham

Thanks Jim. Very interesting indeed. That's the first jacket I've seen with all the zippers, pockets, etc on both sides. Interesting label too. Not a typical military jacket label at all. I sort of wish that I'd bid on that jacket now.

Willy McCoy

One of my favorite jackets. I actually like the short length on the vintage jackets of that era. You can spot 'em a mile away. A modern designer must pander to the trends of the day whereas a vintage mil spec. jacket quietly utters "So wot ... " . The orange tape zippers, reversed cigarette pocket and orange Oxygen hose clamp pad are very nice touches. I would guess the attention to detail that Buzz Rickson excels at would price a replica jacket in the stratosphere.

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
Thanks Jim. Very interesting indeed. That's the first jacket I've seen with all the zippers, pockets, etc on both sides. Interesting label too. Not a typical military jacket label at all. I sort of wish that I'd bid on that jacket now.

Peter, I wish you'd bid on it as well. These are rare in general and with the original insignia this example is fantastic. Regarding the label, this was not an issued item so the commercial branding isn't unusual. As indicated, Fruhauf Southwest did have some government contracts (notably for N-3As I believe) so they knew how to build garments to specification.