• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern issue A-2: the new collector item?

Interesting perspective. I would suggest that the current-issue USAF A-2, might be seen as a recruitment tool, making aviation to seem especially glamorous. I have never held a current-issue USAF A-2 in my hands, but I had some experience with the nylon MA-1 jackets of the Vietnam era, and they were nothing to write home about in terms of quality, so I wouldn't expect much from the current issue USAF A-2. As to the CWU, I have the CWU-45. I appreciate that it is light weight, and I can vouch for the fact that the CWU-45 is quite adequate against the low winter temperatures and winds we get around the Chicago area, and yet light enough to wear indoors..

One more thought: what is the likelihood that a leather A-2 was actually worn in the operations of the Gulf War? I was under the impression that the temperature got pretty hot in the region of operations.

ZuZu

Interesting perspective. I would suggest that the current-issue USAF A-2, might be seen as a recruitment tool, making aviation to seem especially glamorous. I have never held a current-issue USAF A-2 in my hands, but I had some experience with the nylon MA-1 jackets of the Vietnam era, and they were nothing to write home about in terms of quality, so I wouldn't expect much from the current issue USAF A-2. As to the CWU, I have both the 36 and the 45. I appreciate that they are light weight, and I can vouch for the fact that the CWU-45 is quite adequate against the low winter temperatures and winds we get around the Chicago area.
I agree that it's a recruitment tool and I used to see the ROTC Air Force guys wearing them at UC Berkeley when I worked there- from a distance they looked pretty cool. My problem with them is that they had a chance to get the reissue right and instead went with the Avirex/Jeff Clyman Clown Show. It's sad because a square, well proportioned jacket with angular pocket flaps would have looked way better and was totally possible at the beginning. I know it's a silly thing but it bugs me.

Pilot

With all due respect.
The Stewies and other female personnel in Dubai.. so far disagree :)
IMG_0696.jpeg

Pa12

I agree that it's a recruitment tool and I used to see the ROTC Air Force guys wearing them at UC Berkeley when I worked there- from a distance they looked pretty cool. My problem with them is that they had a chance to get the reissue right and instead went with the Avirex/Jeff Clyman Clown Show. It's sad because a square, well proportioned jacket with angular pocket flaps would have looked way better and was totally possible at the beginning. I know it's a silly thing but it bugs me.
I’m with you. Don’t know why they felt they had to “modernize “it. Dropped the ball in my opinion.

Not making excuses for Mr. Clyman, but he says on the Cockpit website that the current issue A-2 was designed to incorporate changes wanted by USAF pilots. Beyond that, Cockpit is a government contractor, and we know what that means: mediocre product at the lowest feasible cost.

ZuZu

Not making excuses for Mr. Clyman, but he says on the Cockpit website that the current issue A-2 was designed to incorporate changes wanted by USAF pilots. Beyond that, Cockpit is a government contractor, and we know what that means: mediocre product at the lowest feasible cost.

Everything Clyman says about this is complete bullshit. I lived in those times- I had old Avirex 1978 jackets. Same POS jacket as the supposed pilot inspired new A-2. And I kind of disagree about what you say military stuff- they have standards. CWU's are well designed and sewn as are most actual uniform items. No- I think Clyman lobbied and finally got his way and ruined the whole idea. Hell- look at the new Navy Surface Warfare black jacket- it's cool- it has weird design elements that are interesting (like the odd velcro pocket flaps with fake buttons) and it's very specific.

Everything Clyman says about this is complete bullshit. I lived in those times- I had old Avirex 1978 jackets. Same POS jacket as the supposed pilot inspired new A-2. And I kind of disagree about what you say military stuff- they have standards. CWU's are well designed and sewn as are most actual uniform items. No- I think Clyman lobbied and finally got his way and ruined the whole idea. Hell- look at the new Navy Surface Warfare black jacket- it's cool- it has weird design elements that are interesting (like the odd velcro pocket flaps with fake buttons) and it's very specific.

I joined the USAF 60 years ago. I was discharged 56 years ago. I shouldn't be opining on matters which have occurred since. The CWU did not exist then. I have one now, and I like it. I have an old Avirex B-15 leather jacket. The leather is not damaged at all, but the color of the leather has not stood up at all well: the sleeves are a different color than the body, , and the color of the back is much more faded on one side than the other. I was not a great fan of the clothing given aircrews in the mid-1960's. The flight suits were flammable; if you put them in a dryer on "high" they were truly too hot to handle when dried.

FtrPlt

One more thought: what is the likelihood that a leather A-2 was actually worn in the operations of the Gulf War? I was under the impression that the temperature got pretty hot in the region of operations.
The USAF A-2 wasn't authorized for flight use when it was reintroduced. I flew into the early 2000s and it was never authorized for flight use, insofar as I'm aware.

Temperatures on the ground might have been pretty warm but at altitude it's always cold. I don't recall ever flying without a jacket (CWU), no matter how hot it was on the ground.