• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN JACKETS

Grant

Damn, you're probably right Greg, thanks! That makes them Tommy Blackburn's VF-17 badasses. Am I the only one that hates really poorly colorized WWII photos?

Greg Gale

Yeah, some colors are a bit off, the Corsair is too bright as well...Normally I love colorized photos, but they can easily look weird..

Greg Gale

Now this one is an original color photo, and easily the most badass picture of Corsair pilots ever taken:

2FF061A0-C274-48D7-B8E8-B126BC756B9D.jpeg

jeremiah

I have a nice Corsair model sitting on my book stand. Love those planes. I know the pilots did not like the ones with the longer nose though.

B-Man2

I don't know where you guys are coming up with these photos but they're great!
Thanks Grant and Greg!

Cocker

@Greg Gale , you sure it's a period picture? There's a couple things hinting at it being a picture of Corsairs at an airshow, or something like that:

- The 2 Korean roundels kill markings, indicating a post war Corsair
- The 2nd Corsair bearing the markings of Jim Streig's plane while in VF-17
- The fact that Phil DeLong never flew with VF-17
- The overall cleanliness of the planes and pilots, especially if they just arrived from a mission where they had to fight

I'll have to dig a bit, but this one screems "reenactors having a great time" too much for me.

Cocker

Ok, I think I identified the first 2 Corsairs. The one closest to picture is F4U-5P 122184, bearing the markings of Phil DeLong, the one after with the pilot standing in the cockpit is FG-1D 92508, with the markings of VF-17's Ray Beacham (number 31, not Streig's number 3 as I first thought).

zoomer

Can't go wrong with a shirt/tie and a USN jacket. USN aviators were some of the best dressed dudes.
USMC.jpg
What color is that shirt? The surface Navy only got blue wool shirts. Were fliers allowed green ones?

Last edited:

Grant

Cool Korea pics! Seeing the color photos of the USMC F2G's with all the wing pylons reminded me a story my dad told while he was in Korea. A USMC AD-1 made an emergency landing at dad's base at Kunsan, fully loaded with ordinance on the pylon! Dad said they were pissed the Marine landed on their field with a full load of 500lb bombs fearing he could've blown uthey stripped the Skyraider of it's bombs, re-fueled the Skyraider and sent him on his way. When they loaded the bombs in their B-26 Invaders they wrote on the bombs "courtesy of the USMC".

zoomer

McCann has a grey twill shirt on. The shirt under the ‘422 looks like a heavy woolen CPO type - but AFAIK those were only blue. Probably a command-authorized private purchase item we are not likely ever to see a color photo of...

Last edited: