• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN jacket you haven't heard of...M-375

zoomer

Reproed, of course, not an original - which would be horrifically rare.
And of course by a Japanese company, Cage Low.
4283682760_0ac55d2653_o.jpg

This seems to be a first draft of the M-421 with its beltback, but retains the knit waist of the early 30s 37J series.
There may be inset knit cuffs, too - wouldn't make much sense not to have them with the waist.
4283682824_7f8c2dbae0_o.jpg

The zipper ends 2/3 of the way up for some reason.
4283682874_790d62721e_o.jpg

There's a jivey civilian liner to brighten it up a little. Note also the inner pocket, prefiguring the '421 and '422.
4282937679_0086e9d87b_o.jpg

More pix here, featuring male hipster douchebag.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
zoomer said:
The zipper ends 2/3 of the way up for some reason.

It zips to the lapel, which is convertable, and can be folded across, and buttoned for weather protection. The M384 suit is the same contract number, and works the same way.

Nice design ...

zoomer

I remember seeing Bob Taylor in a film called Flight Command, playing a Navy lieutenant (which he later was), and wearing a leather job with similar lapels. Strictly a costumer's whimsy, but this might have been the inspiration.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Now that I compare pictures, the original is actually much more stylish. The lapel is altogether larger, more shape to it, and notched much lower like a vintage sports coat.

As always, the choice of model could have been better, but the repro just kinda hangs ...

zoomer

zoomer said:
I remember seeing Bob Taylor in a film called Flight Command, playing a Navy lieutenant (which he later was), and wearing a leather job with similar lapels. Strictly a costumer's whimsy, but this might have been the inspiration.
Flight Command will be on Turner Classic Movies Feb. 4. I'll try to get some screenshots of Taylor's jacket, and perhaps David or someone else may recognize it.