• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAF Field Jacket Question

Atticus

Haven't posted here in a while, but I still lurk around. Got a question. I bought this USAF field jacket for the opening bid a few weeks ago. I was a bit skeptical about the spec tag in that it seems a bit Spartan as compared to other 1960s spec tags I've seen in other kinds of jackets. But then the jacket arrived and it sure appeared to be legit. It has the proper black leather reinforced chinch cord openings and a 'fifties or early 'sixties Conmar zipper in collar. And it has the period-correct, M-51 buttons as opposed to the style used on M-65s. Also, since buying this jacket I've seen two others on e-bay with the same kind of tag. Finally, I can't imagine who would want to reproduce these ugly, clown-collared jackets...or said differently...its so undesirable it must be real.

So what do y'all think? Real or knock off?

AF

a2jacketpatches

Had a mint off the shelf condition in size large not too long ago. Not crazy about that collar either but these are worth grabbing. Doesn't look too bad with the collar flipped up. I'm pretty sure there's a liner for one of those in XL posted recently here on VLJ.

Atticus

a2jacketpatches said:
Had a mint off the shelf condition in size large not too long ago. Not crazy about that collar either but these are worth grabbing. Doesn't look too bad with the collar flipped up. I'm pretty sure there's a liner for one of those in XL posted recently here on VLJ.

It's not available anymore. It's on its way to me. :D

AF

Atticus

a2jacketpatches said:
The field jacket liner arrived this morning and it is excellent...nearly mint...condition. I can't remember which VLJ member I bought it from, but I am very happy with it. After I bought the jacket shell, I posted somewhere...probably on Fedora Lounge...that I'd probably never live long enough to find a liner in size XL. I believed this because it took me several years of hard looking to find a M-51 liner in XL. A couple days later I was lurking over here and noticed the link to this one. And it was being offered for a very reasonable BIN! Snagged it right up.

Again, thanks for the help guys!

AF

a2jacketpatches

15 bucks right? I was wondering why the price was even questioned here especially an XL in great condition. Early cloth jackets and accessories are getting harder to find. I just found my size Large M-51 not too long ago for 15- Good thing is that they kind of blend in with the abundant post Vietnam era stuff to the untrained eye. Living next to Nellis, countless 80's M-65's at the swap meet look just like M-43's, M-51's, and silver zip M-65's. One out of ten is a cherry.

a2jacketpatches

Speaking of......1969 Dated stone mint silver zip M-65 at this evening swap meet for 15 bucks. A small regular, but a good on to flip in Japan.

Atticus

That's one of the few positives about being a fat ass. I don't have to compete with wealthy Asians for my vintage jackets.

AF

a2jacketpatches

Just before picking up another near mint M-65 by Rolane Sportswear in Arizona, I found a size medium regular of these Air Force Flight Jackets in very good condition. It did have A1C stripes removed and an Asian made name tape with a couple of reflective stripes. I didn't buy it but did pick up the two Jungle shirts.

76000Yen = about 635 usd? That seems a little much. I also sold a stone mint example in a large size a while back for about 100- I think. Starting to think i should leave no 60's jacket behind.

a2jacketpatches

For it to be reproduced in Japan and cost so much, I'll never let another original one go. I'll be grabbing any original 60's military jacket I find that's in tip top condition from now on regardless of size.

watchmanjimg

a2jacketpatches said:
For it to be reproduced in Japan and cost so much, I'll never let another original one go. I'll be grabbing any original 60's military jacket I find that's in tip top condition from now on regardless of size.

I can certainly appreciate the thought, but the following strikes me as the more likely outcome when selling these:

Atticus said:
With shipping included, I have about forty bucks invested in my jacket and liner. And its a size XL.

AF

I have several Mediums lying around and they've been passed over many times at an asking price of $15 or thereabouts. Getting back to the Japanese repro, it's beautifully made of course but I've never seen an original with a zipper or yellow hood. I'm suspicious that any were produced in this configuration as the later OG-107 examples seem to retain the original button closure. Can anyone out there state otherwise?

a2jacketpatches

Tip top / minty condition only on the AF Jackets, larger and smaller sizes for those Asian guys if they're paying 630- for a repop regardless of accuracy. And as stated, I sold my stone mint large for about 100 bucks, worth the 10- I paid. Even with the silver zip M-65's They gotta be mint condition or very close to it for the big bucks otherwise used good with stains is only up to 100-. Are your medium AF's in used lightly faded condition? if so, I pass on them almost weekly living next to Nellis AFB. But if they're mint, give me your PP address and I'll send you 20- each plus shipping charges

Phantomfixer

Glad you liked the liner AF! I have the matching original AF field jacket in mint unworn deadstock condition ( co workers thought it was new store bought jacket), it is the earlier gray or 509 shade..... purchased together....but the liner was too bulky for me...I use a regular M65 liner with button holes relocated...
So glad it went to a good home..
JZ

Tim P

watchmanjimg said:
a2jacketpatches said:

I can certainly appreciate the thought, but the following strikes me as the more likely outcome when selling these:

Atticus said:
With shipping included, I have about forty bucks invested in my jacket and liner. And its a size XL.

AF

I have several Mediums lying around and they've been passed over many times at an asking price of $15 or thereabouts. Getting back to the Japanese repro, it's beautifully made of course but I've never seen an original with a zipper or yellow hood. I'm suspicious that any were produced in this configuration as the later OG-107 examples seem to retain the original button closure. Can anyone out there state otherwise?

I share your skepticism