• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Navy G-1 Brill Bros. Exc. Condition Any info to share? Label partially crossed

Kelly204

Hello community!

I really appreciate all that info assembled on this site. I've learned a lot, but...

Can the group help me understand what I have here quality-wise and assist in decoding the label? Someone has crossed out the bottom label, so I'm having a hard time dating this jacket beyond the range of dates that the Brill Brothers produced for the US Navy (1968–1987).
The G-1 manufacturer contract date is from 1971. I can make out the first part of the blacked out line "DLA 100..." This would put it at 1978 onwards?

Is the collar Dynal?
Any insight into leather type?
It has a USN stamp. Talon zipper.

Also, any idea why would someone cross out part of the label (see photo)? Does this mean it failed some quality inspection when produced and wasn't worn? The jacket is in such pristine condition otherwise. No scratches to the leather, the knit is unmarred, liner is stain free... A tiny bit of wear by the cuffs perhaps but I have to look closely

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Background: I found this gem at a second hand store. I took a chance at a surprise gift for my beau, but unfortunately, he's too lanky for this to look right on him. I'll be selling this in the near future so it can find it's way to some hunk who'll really fall in love with it!
PXL_20231116_052658486~2.jpg
PXL_20231116_053037147.jpg
PXL_20231116_052922293.MP.jpg
PXL_20231116_052959601.jpg

Skyhawk

This is a 1970's Brill Bros. G-1. The collar is Dynel. The hide is Cowhide that was pressed with a pebble goatskin grain (Corrected Leather).
The DLA # is crossed out a lot of times to de-militarize the jacket. You also see partially lined out DLA's with a new date penned in. Those are left over labels that Brill reused on a later contract. These are bullet proof and make a great motorcycle jacket.

It was probably issued. It doesn't look defective.

Erwin

This is a 1970's Brill Bros. G-1.
This is not correct.

As far as I'm aware DLA [Defense Logistics Agency] for contracts was renamed from DSA [Defense Supply Agency] in 1977. But on contracted items, DLA was used from one year later [1978] until 1993. Based on this, it is a jacket from the 80's, DLA100-82-C-0564, DLA100-86-C-0451, or DLA100-87-C-0739. Only those made by BB have DLA.

Capt

Can imagine if they kept the mouton collar to date and how much in the used market they would fetch now.
The original WW2 specs and onwards had rayon linings and single ply knits and all that stuff but these later models have robust zips, nylon linings and thread, double ply knits and a more modern fast food human fit and last much longer, who cares if they are steer hide. Shame cost prevailed if that all it was.

ZuZu

Can imagine if they kept the mouton collar to date and how much in the used market they would fetch now.
The original WW2 specs and onwards had rayon linings and single ply knits and all that stuff but these later models have robust zips, nylon linings and thread, double ply knits and a more modern fast food human fit and last much longer, who cares if they are steer hide. Shame cost prevailed if that all it was.
I don't agree thay last longer. Many jackets from WW2 Korea and 'til 1960- without the ugly zipper and rounded pockets and collar have lasted perfectly. Enhanced cowhide will not last as long IMO- especially if soaked and abused. I have an Edmund Church that is still totally wearable.

By the late 70s the sewing and quality in general started to suck. I've seen the nylon lining just come apart, I've seen the cowhide turn to stiff brittle cardboard after a few soakings.

Kelly204

This is a 1970's Brill Bros. G-1. The collar is Dynel. The hide is Cowhide that was pressed with a pebble goatskin grain (Corrected Leather).
The DLA # is crossed out a lot of times to de-militarize the jacket. You also see partially lined out DLA's with a new date penned in. Those are left over labels that Brill reused on a later contract. These are bullet proof and make a great motorcycle jacket.

It was probably issued. It doesn't look defective.
This is really great info
This is not correct.

As far as I'm aware DLA [Defense Logistics Agency] for contracts was renamed from DSA [Defense Supply Agency] in 1977. But on contracted items, DLA was used from one year later [1978] until 1993. Based on this, it is a jacket from the 80's, DLA100-82-C-0564, DLA100-86-C-0451, or DLA100-87-C-0739. Only those made by BB have DLA.
Ah... I think you're right. I think I can make out a "51" as the last two digits, so likely from 1986. Thanks so much!

Skyhawk

This is not correct.

Nope DSA went back to 1975. That is what my Brill is and his looks identical
IMG_20231117_160217695_HDR.jpg

Erwin

Nope DSA went back to 1975. That is what my Brill is and his looks identical
Hey Skyhawk, this is very interesting, as all gov references indicate DSA to DLA change in 1977, with updated information on the labels from 1978. You can compare the official list of any contracted cold man's field jackets [only an example here] to see:
DSA-100-77-C-0684
DSA-100-77-C-1387
DSA-100-77-C-0796
DSA-100-77-C-1386
DSA-100-77-C-1385
[skipped DPSC ones here]
DLA 100-78-C-0379
DLA 100-78-C-1098
Maybe some typo print errors on labels can be found, but DLA on labels can be found from 1978. I got your point that both contracts DLA100-86-C-0451 and Yours DSA100-75-C-0332 look identical [based on the exact mil-spec E] and were made by the same manufacturer. However, His jacket was made in 80's not 70's. A great thing to exchange opinions regarding G1 contracts here ;)

Thomas Koehle

This is one of my jackets

77qZFI1.jpg

collar is also no longer mouton - as been stated before

it is still marked with DSA - on my ORCHARD production date 86 the marking already switched to DLA but still a huge timeframe inbetween the 2 dates so not able to identify the absoult date when the switch from DAS to DLA was done

0TEhb71.jpg

Erwin