• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Navy Aviator Wing

a2jacketpatches

The wings are very sharp and look great. Is it actually tooled as per the description or is this a clicker stamp impression. I just did two Sundowners patches where the original image / patch was a clicker stamp that embossed the patch with gold at the same time. So it was like a gold leaf deeply embossed into the leather. But I had to draw the image on to the leather and tool every square 1/8th inch with a hand tool and mallet. Well about 4 tries later I finally got it done. I didn't think it would be cost effective to have a die made and found out it wasn't cost effective to do it by hand either. Problem is one goof and it's in the leather for good. I literally had two on different occasions just about done when a brain fart made me stamp out a letter rendering the 2hour spent wasted. In the end I'm happy that I did complete it anyway as I learned quite a bit about tooling leather, especially this, leave that stuff to someone else :lol:

shedonwanna

a2jacketpatches said:
The wings are very sharp and look great. Is it actually tooled as per the description or is this a clicker stamp impression. I just did two Sundowners patches where the original image / patch was a clicker stamp that embossed the patch with gold at the same time. So it was like a gold leaf deeply embossed into the leather. But I had to draw the image on to the leather and tool every square 1/8th inch with a hand tool and mallet. Well about 4 tries later I finally got it done. I didn't think it would be cost effective to have a die made and found out it wasn't cost effective to do it by hand either. Problem is one goof and it's in the leather for good. I literally had two on different occasions just about done when a brain fart made me stamp out a letter rendering the 2hour spent wasted. In the end I'm happy that I did complete it anyway as I learned quite a bit about tooling leather, especially this, leave that stuff to someone else :lol:

Yes, I used a stamping die for this one then stained and painted. I've made several hundred of these over the years so the die has paid for itself. The squadrons that request these wings want the design consistent. I have dies for NFO, air crew, flight surgeon, SWO and a few others. I do hand tool the WWII Air Corps.