• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

United Sheeplined A2

Roughwear

From the old forum here are pics of my United sheeplined A2. It is a size 42 and is made of thick, grainy HH. The zip is a triple marked Talon.

Picture167a.jpg

Picture192a.jpg

Picture193a.jpg

Picture195a.jpg

Picture196.jpg

Picture199.jpg

Picture200.jpg

Picture201.jpg

Picture202a.jpg

greyhound52

Andrew,
Looks nice. HH is alot like my original Monarch. Hey what do you think of John's version of the US with his new HH?

Roughwear

greyhound52 said:
Andrew,
Looks nice. HH is alot like my original Monarch. Hey what do you think of John's version of the US with his new HH?

I like it. It has a nice grain and looks spot on.

A

Anonymous

DSCF1632.jpg

DSCF1610.jpg

DSCF1612.jpg

DSCF1616.jpg

DSCF1625.jpg

DSCF1619.jpg

Here's some shots of the Goodwear United to compare- remember I'm not that great at photography and pardon my ugly mug!

T-Bolt

Thanks for those shots of your jacket, Jeff. Youv'e got some good looking leather on that A-2.......I really do like the United Sheep jacket design alot. Maybe down the road after I get my Dubow paid for, I may just pick a United up.

Ted

Andrew

Jeff, I notice the epaulettes on yours stick up a little, something John set me straight about on my USL (which was a really early one and i'm sure the latest models are light years ahead). That and the way they sit just behind and in line with the shoulder seam. Initially I was a little concerned but that quickly disappeared and now they don't appear to do that at all.

Your jacket is a great looker and that leather is sensational.

This was mine 6 months ago.

508.jpg

A

Anonymous

Beautiful jackets. Originals in my size are hard to find, at 6' 4" 230 lbs.

Peter Graham

rotenhahn said:
DSCF1632.jpg

DSCF1610.jpg

DSCF1612.jpg

DSCF1616.jpg

DSCF1625.jpg

DSCF1619.jpg

Here's some shots of the Goodwear United to compare- remember I'm not that great at photography and pardon my ugly mug!
Jeff, I know you love your Goodwear jackets and that one looks just like an original but it makes you look fat which you are odviously not. There is something very wrong with the cut of that jacket compared with the original pictured at the start of the thread.

A

Anonymous

Mine's basically a 42/44 Long- it fits pretty much like my original 42 Bronco did when I weighed 13 lbs. less.- Tightish across the chest and a bit bigger down below- slight pooch in the belly. Comparing two different jackets photographed at different times on two different people is pretty impossible- even if they are jackets of the same contract. If I look fat in the jacket it's probably more due to bad photography.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rotenhahn said:
Mine's basically a 42/44 Long ....

I got into trouble for commenting on the last forum, about BR's black, long version, 'pattern recognition' jackets.

But doesn't creating a long size alter the classic, boxy, shape of the A-2? Instead of almost a square, the jacket could become more tubular, sitting on the hips, and pushing the waist up, and out.

JMHO :)

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
rotenhahn said:

I got into trouble for commenting on the last forum, about BR's black, long version, 'pattern recognition' jackets.

But doesn't creating a long size alter the classic, boxy, shape of the A-2? Instead of almost a square, the jacket could become more tubular, sitting on the hips, and pushing the waist up, and out.

But I think his jacket looks much better with jeans that those of many other I see of members on here. If he did ask John for an extra inch or two then I think that's made all the difference and it's certainly what I would do if I were to be able to afford a GW.

For me the length issue is a problem with a lot of flight jackets, not just the A-2. I got to try on what I think was a vintage ANJ-3A (well it some kind of A-2/G-1 hybrid...there was no label for me to ID it) last week, and the extra length made it a much better fit on me than the A-2. Unfortunately, the delicate condition and outrageous price meant I couldn't consider a purchase.

bfrench

Administrator
asiamiles said:
deeb7 said:
rotenhahn said:

But I think his jacket looks much better with jeans that those of many other I see of members on here. If he did ask John for an extra inch or two then I think that's made all the difference and it's certainly what I would do if I were to be able to afford a GW.

For me the length issue is a problem with a lot of flight jackets, not just the A-2. I got to try on what I think was a vintage ANJ-3A (well it some kind of A-2/G-1 hybrid...there was no label for me to ID it) last week, and the extra length made it a much better fit on me than the A-2. Unfortunately, the delicate condition and outrageous price meant I couldn't consider a purchase.

Hi, Guys,

Here's a composite of two jackets - on two different people about 5000 miles apart and the jackets about 60 years apart.

You're really starting to split hairs - curly ones at that

As far as the extra length - most jackets really need that if we persist in wearing low waisted jeans - gives us the bare belly Shania Twain look or on some of us Larry the Cable guys lookalike.

OriginalandGoodWearUnitedSheeplined.jpg

Bill French

Andrew

bfrench said:
Here's a composite of two jackets - on two different people about 5000 miles apart and the jackets about 60 years apart.

You're really starting to split hairs - curly ones at that.................

Bill French

Peter G, I don't see what you do. Considering Bill's qualifications above and the fact he looks more desperate Kriegie than B-17 Skipper I think Jeff's GW looks fantastic and really could pass for an original, in fact i'd put my hand up to buy it if he suddenly got sick of it. I'm still tossing up which of the patterns and leathers to use but this is the first Russett jacket i've ever considered getting.

asiamiles

asiamiles said:
A little research tells me the jacket was actually an ANJ-3 rather than 3A or 3a, as it had the A-2 type storm flap.

Have to go with Bill on this one.

I think the fit on that GW looks just fine. I have commented before that most people today consider the "look" of tight fitting A-2s a bit, well...odd or "nerdy" in fact. I've seen some guys say "I wear my jackets for me, and I don't care what anybody else thinks" and I say that's cool, too.

Just realize that for 99.9% of humanity in 2008 on planet earth the slightly looser A-2 is going to look more natural.

I know some of the FLoungers wear vintage clothing all the time and couldn't care less what people think. I would feel comfortable wearing a vintage dinner jacket to a swanky event, but not a fedora and Indy style jacket around every day. That just looks a bit odd on a 36 year old guy in my neighborhood. Probably could pull it off in a large urban area...

I'm not going to start wearing baggy jeans and anything else the teens are wearing just because they are, but you have to draw a line somewhere. Mine was reached a few years ago when several people close to me and whom I respect told me my favorite old A-2 repro was a bit snug and slightly goofy looking. Thankfully they did because I then discovered the A-2 on the net and VLJ and all you guys who are obsessed, I mean interested in the ol' A-2 like I am.

I guess on the fit issue and "The Look" some of us will always have to agree to disagree.

Robman

Jeff's A2 looks exactly the way 90 percent were worn. Looking at crew photos shows the majority had movement room, wrinkles, etc.

That painted-on that many believe in look is less common when looking at most of the period photos.

Nice jacket Jeff.

shanghai joe

Leadsky said:
bfrench said:

You're really starting to split hairs - curly ones at that.................

Bill French

Peter G, I don't see what you do. Considering Bill's qualifications above and the fact he looks more desperate Kriegie than B-17 Skipper I think Jeff's GW looks fantastic and really could pass for an original, in fact i'd put my hand up to buy it if he suddenly got sick of it. I'm still tossing up which of the patterns and leathers to use but this is the first Russett jacket i've ever considered getting.

sure thing, no brainer...........g'day !

BONNIEGIRL4

That jacket is perfection period. Get your eyes examined. Jeff I hope you realize you HAVE finally found what you have searched for, PERFECTION, I'm jealous as hell, enjoy man -TOM