• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Type A-11 Watches

Happy Hooligan

I was thinking about the watch falling off and not noticing...

Would it help for these old watches to run a thin piece of thread through the pin holes (since they run all the way through) and sew it to your watch band. That way it would hold enough for you to notice and fix it, but won't let the watch fall and be lost for ever...

I'm lucky I guess that my band is a full wrist version...

JWS4th

I wear my Elgin A-11 daily and it is on an original style one piece band. These were designed for the service just for this purpose. If one pin fails the other still holds the watch to the band. It is amazing how accurate these old time pieces are. Speaks to American craftsmanship!

dmar836

Wow. It's great to see these things still used!
Hooligan, I can't see how you could put a substantial enough thread through there without negatively effecting the pin contact points - those are more important. As long as the pin holes aren't wallowed out, it should be no more of a problem than any other watch. The one piece band keeps most of the stress off the case.

As an FYI to those watching for A-11s, shown below is how a lot of A-11s are sold on Ebay. Often, if sold by a "watch guy", there is an angle or two lacking in pics that would reveal this. I would never buy, much less wear, one with the holes so worn down. JMO, I think the waterproof cases are a bit more substantial and might wear a bit better than the dustproof cases.
IMG_8010.jpg

Dave