• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Type 99 Arisaka / AAF Veteran bringback / and other stuff

a2jacketpatches

Nice and salty, just the way I like em. Toyo Kogyo ( now Mazda ) arsenal with 30 series stamp. The first out of about 20 I've found in the past that has an untouched MUM, the original receiver dust cover, aircraft sight, AND monopod. I've bought several these stripped down to almost nothing, bought one in pieces in a bucket, several sporterized, but never as complete as this. No bayonet, but no big deal, they are a dime a dozen and not usually matched anyway. Relevant to this forum because an AAF groundcrew picked up in the Pacific somewhere according to the grandson. I bought the story this time and not just the item. Quite pitted, tells me that it probably was sitting around a while attracting the salt air on an island before this guy grabbed it, as the story was told. The Grandson couldn't remember what island or the unit of his Grandfather, just the gist of his story. Japanese rifles were handed to vets on their way home out of piles 20 feet high believe it or not, most had the chrysanthemum ( mum ) defaced by the soldier or completely ground off, it was the Emperor of Japan symbol and was not to be captured intact. Any Japanese rifle with a complete Mum was most likely a battlefield pick up and the most desirable for collections today.
Type99001.jpg

Type99003.jpg

Type99004.jpg

Type99005.jpg

Type99006.jpg

Type99007.jpg

Type99008.jpg

Type99009.jpg

dujardin

Re: Type 99 Arisaka / AAF Veteran bringback / and other stuf

i know nothing about japanese rifle, good to learn a little

but this seems to you to be a real jewel

congrats

CHECK6

Nice one ,too sad for the stock :cry:

Fab

a2jacketpatches

CHECK6 said:
Nice one ,too sad for the stock :cry:

Fab

Yeah, very typical for these rifles to split there, still very solid, just the way they're put together and years of moisture splits the laminate. I love em though, always look war torn no matter how good condition is.

Peter Graham

What a great souvenir. Would look fantastic on a wall. It's great to see non flight jacket related stuff on this forum.